Chapter 30

After Eunjae had slid her dress back on to cover up her athletic-wear and raked her fingers through her hair, she and Jimin found themselves sat on the edge of the training mat, their knees bumping as they angled themselves to face one another.

Eunjae observed his freshly bandaged hand, admiring her handiwork from earlier which she'd done in his room before he'd left her to go about his day. "How does your hand feel?"

Jimin flexed said hand, flashing both sides to her before providing her with a small smile. "Fine, all thanks to you." Eunjae returned his smile before a delicate silence settled between the two.

Jimin cut the awkward air before the growing tension could become tangible. "I think by now it's quite evident that I fancy you..." He chose to begin, diving right in.

Eunjae immediately felt her heart race as she bit her lip to suppress a grin. "The feeling is reciprocated." She interjected, her hand that was splayed on her knee brushing against Jimin's very own. She wished to lace her fingers through his and feel his warm skin against hers.

Jimin's own heartrate picked up as his thoughts became a jumble, his tongue darting out to dampen his lips. It was difficult to focus when Eunjae was this close, and he wanted nothing more than to lay her on the mat and have his way with her after hearing that his affections were returned. He settled with grabbing the woman's smaller hand and weaving their fingers together. The action put both of the individuals at ease.

Jimin seemed to struggle for a moment as he tried to form his thoughts into words. "Unfortunately the circumstances we are under are not in our favor."

Eunjae let out a dismal sigh as she nodded in agreement. Jimin was a prince—the crowned prince of Violencia, next in line for the throne, while she was a low-class servant. He should never have gotten tangled with her in the first place. And vice versa. The two of them would be looked down upon—Eunjae especially.

"I wanted you to hear it from me before anyone," Jimin started again, catching Eunjae's curious gaze with his own regretful one. "There's going to be a ball held later next week, at which my parents expect me to choose a fiancée."

Eunjae felt a sick feeling churn in her stomach as her face paled. Had Jimin's hand not been clutching onto hers like a vice, she would have put a considerable amount of distance between her and the prince. She was shocked, speechless, and didn't know what to think. Her lips were parted, eyebrows furrowed as her eyes flashed with hurt and betrayal.

"W-what?" Eunjae's voice wavered; she was inwardly ashamed at her blatant flustered display. She retreated into her mind, replaying the events of the last 24 hours. Eunjae was sure Jimin had been aware of this information when she visited him last night, his bitter words and contempt attitude towards whatever had driven him to his drunken stupor suddenly making sense. He was to find another woman to betroth, and yet he still kissed her? And she—the fool—kissed him back.

So why was he sat before her now, a pleading expression adorning his ethereal features, telling her of his supposed feelings for her?

In the very back of Eunjae's mind, she realized she'd also kept something quite significant from the prince as well, what with her newfound venture with a rebellion that Jimin so happened to find himself on the opposing side of. She decided, however, that now was not the moment to delve into that discussion, especially with how sensitive the next moments were to be. They would have to make it through this before they could attempt at another pivotal dilemma.

"Please, Eunjae, you have to trust me." Jimin begged as he observed her troubled and doubtful expression. "I have no desire to marry any woman that will be at that ball. My parents bombarded me with this information yesterday and I had no choice in the matter."