-8-

A/n: I have no idea what year it is presently on Mobius, so for them, it's 2020. Lucky them. No coronavirus. But just keep that in mind. 

"Hey there," Sonic said, plopping down next to (Y/n) and dropping his head on her shoulder.

"Tired?" the AI asked.

"Yeah," Sonic said. "Of everyone's attitude!" He snuggled into the (a/t), wrapping his arms around her waist.

It had been a little more than a month since they had gotten together and (Y/n) was having little doubt about their relationship. Sonic may move quickly, but he was surprisingly gentle and loving when it came to a relationship.

Her screaming had been...ever so slowly progressing. She still had nightmares, but working towards handling the smaller bursts was working. Sonic had talked with Shadow and they were working on a different approach. However, the dark hedgehog was suddenly sharp with her and it took everything she had not to bust his ears. She often returned to base and fell asleep, not to wake up for hours.

"How was training?"

"Quiet."

"Really?" 

"Yeah. Shadow invited Silver to our lesson today. He took your advice and was trying to teach me to get a level head, and Silver's good at meditating apparently." 

"Yeah, that's kind of how he got a grip on his powers." 

"Well, I hope that it will help me get a grip on mine.

"I'm confident," Sonic said, looking up at her. "You're stronger than Shadow gives you credit for." 

"Yeah, but he does make me do pull ups every morning." She flexed one of her muscles to show him. "(F/n) would be jealous. Except, she'd probably be confused about me being a (a/t).

"You miss her, don't you?" 

"Every day." Sonic sat up. "But I know she's okay. Starline didn't go after her, anyway. I think she'll just be a little confused, and maybe behind on her project without those blueprints I was supposed to give her." (Y/n) stared blankly at the floor, refusing to cry. She'd managed not to for a long time. She didn't like crying. Made her feel pathetic. 

Sonic put his hand on her face and she instinctively leaned into it. "It's okay to be sad," he said. "I'm...I'm sad all the time." 

"You're a hero. Heroes tend to lose a lot for the greater good. I understand.

"Well, you're one of us, now! You deserve as much love as the next." She turned her head to look at him and he smiled. "Plus, you're beautiful, which is a nice bonus." She blushed softly and he leaned over. "You know-" She quickly closed the gap between them.

"-you're amazing," Sonic finished when they pulled apart. She blushed furiously and looked away, ears pressed flat to her head. "And don't you forget it, (Y/n)."

~

"Someone's in a good mood," Rouge said the next day. "I meant Shadow, but Sonic's in a real good mood." Shadow was hunched with his arms crossed and a murderous look on his face beside the bat. Sonic was talking excitedly to (Y/n), who was going to join them today for her first day on the field. "Do you think she's ready? Is that why you're so grumpy?" Shadow harrumphed and shook his head. "Take that as a yes." 

"Everyone ready?" Tails asked, fiddling with something in his ear. "Get your comms up and let's go get 'em!" 

"Yes!" Sonic said, especially excited.