TWO

The Beatles: I Saw Her Standing There

Essie

It felt a bit awkward riding along in Harry's car, but he was very casual about it... he put on some tunes and we were on our way from Heathrow to Hampstead.

"Do you like the Beatles?", he turned to face me for a split second, and I wasn't sure his question really required an answer.

"Well yeah. Are there people who don't?", Harry chuckled, turning to his left and checking to see if there are oncoming vehicles, "I guess those people are a bit alien-like, you're right.".

"Where shall I drop you?", we were turning onto my street and I pointed to my house. I was a bit embarrassed when I saw slight shock colour his face. He wasn't expecting me to live in a one-story house in the more expensive area of Hampstead.

"I know. Dad bought it for me as soon as I mentioned wanting to move back to London. He was set on spending a certain amount of money on me... he wouldn't budge. So, I asked him to buy this house and use the rest of the money to set up a charity foundation in my name. I'm not a spoilt rich brat, I promise.", I chuckled through the last bit, not wanting to come off as someone I really wasn't.

"I was just surprised you live here alone, it's quite a big property for one person, isn't it?", the car pulled up in front of the house and we both got out. Harry proceeded to pull out my suitcases from his trunk and I fished the keys from my bag. He would not let me carry them in myself, so we climbed up the stairs together. A loud bark startled him, but I motioned for him to follow me.

"There you are darling! Did you miss me? Oh, I missed you very much Bono!", my big puppy jumped up on me as soon as I unlocked the front door.

"Hi,", Harry extended his hand for Bono to sniff, "I'm Harry, it's nice to meet you.".

Bono sniffed his hand, licked it and continued wagging his tail, letting us enter.

"He's an interesting-looking dog, what did you say his name was... Bono?", my suitcases remained by the stairs and I turned on the lights in the kitchen, getting out a treat for Bono.

"Yeah, I got him a year ago, from an animal shelter. He's a Siberian husky, but I found that the two black spots around his eyes resemble sunglasses... hence the name, Bono.", my puppy rested his head on Harry's leg as I offered him a cup of tea.

"He seems really cool.", he got up and grabbed his car keys from the kitchen island, "I should get going, thanks though. Not much of a tea drinker, anyway. It was genuinely nice to travel with you, Rebel. I'll see you around.".

The sun set over London as I walked Bono around the neighbourhood. I found it intriguing that Harry was a neighbour of mine. Granted, I didn't know exactly where he lived, but it still made me wonder when and if I'd bump into him around the area. Was his house one of the ones I passed by on my walk? Did he see me and Bono from his living room window? It was a sudden plethora of possibilities of running into him and I looked forward to it, somehow. How was it possible that we'd never seen each other in the shops or jogging around the park?

Bono and I settled in front of the TV and watched a few episodes of Grey's Anatomy, until both of us ended up snoring on the sofa. It was funny how my dog was the one to wake me up if I'd fallen asleep on the sofa, most nights. We moved to the bed and were both out like a light.

There was nothing better than waking up in your own bed after a week away from home. I didn't have any gigs lined up for a couple of weeks unless something gets scheduled out of the blue. It was like a holiday, in a way... I'd made a to-do list while eating my porridge: do the washing, go to the shop, go on a run, work on the Beauty Papers photos and make a short list to send to Jeff and the editor, go for drinks with Ramona and Becks, clean the house. It was enough to fill a week, but I was always the type of person to find something to do. These "holidays" usually ended with me taking my camera on a walk around town. I often took a train to a village around London to find inspiration, but it was hard to stay invisible in a town in which everybody knew everybody. I got dressed and let Bono out for a bit before I tackled the first thing on my list – Waitrose.