-Chapter 114-

Day: 182

Days Left: 5298

Lives Saved: 0

Time flew by quickly, much to Corinna's distress. She had hoped that her last days with Harmony would last longer, but they flashed by in such a blur that Corinna didn't even realise. Though during that time she continued to work on her projects at the trading post, making proper beds for Ivette, Rin, and Sumit, Corinna hung around more with Harmony and Calixte. It seemed that most of their days they would play and dance to music or idly talk and joke around with things they found at the Land of the Lost. In the evenings the three stayed inside, eating their food whilst playing board games. It was all too ordinary, too normal.

Corinna wondered if she should have planned something special, like maybe a party but realised it was perhaps a bit too late to organise. It wasn't, of course, too late to organise if you were a normal person but every party Corinna had ever hosted was always planned well in advance and in minute detail due to how excessive they tended to be. Having only a week, to her, was impossible to organise such an event. When Corinna posed this problem to Calixte, the amphibian at first gave her a look of bemusement then promised he would arrange one instead.

As thanks for renovating and improving her garden and trading post, Ivette had been collecting enough film for a polaroid camera that Corinna had her eye on. It was originally going to be a gift for Harmony, one to help her distract from being imprisoned. But now that she was leaving and there was little use for a camera whilst on the run, Corinna needed to find an alternative gift.

Still wanting to show Harmony some form of appreciation for all that she had done for her, Corinna decided to make her a survival kit. Fearing the dangers of what was on the other side of the portal and the life-on-the-run that Harmony would have to endure, Corinna gathered up some supplies and packed them neatly into a child's frog lunchbox. Inside, it contained a make-shift first aid kit, needle and thread, a pair of scissors, a fold-up trowel, a torchlight, a pack of matches, and most importantly a couple of packets of special stew.

It wasn't a gift that anyone would be excited to receive, but Corinna needed to make sure Harmony was going to be safe on the other side, if she even made it to...

Corinna stopped that line of thought. As the leaving date was drawing nearer, Corinna questioned the probabilities of Harmony escaping. The chance that she would fail caused Corinna's stomach to churn and twinge with pain. On the one hand, it meant that they would still be together but Harmony... she wouldn't be happy. She would only be happy once she regained her freedom. No matter how much she loved her, Corinna had to let her go.

'Love'...

It was a bit too late to finally admit that; it was such bad timing. But that wouldn't change anything. Corinna would still support and cheer on Harmony as she escaped.

*

During the lead-up to the 'happy escape day', Harmony had also been preparing goodbye presents. She had never considered doing this when she had tried to escape numerous times before. Perhaps it was because now she had someone to say goodbye to. When she had imagined escaping, she always thought that she would never have to think about the Eternal Abyss ever again. But now she could see herself looking back. Not of course in regret of leaving the place but rather all of the people that she had met.  She never expected to make any friends in such a place. If she didn't manage to escape, she wouldn't mind as much-

Harmony derailed that thought. Of course, she was going to escape. She could feel it in her gut. She had almost escaped through the same portal before but was just unlucky when that piano fell down through it. But she was ready this time. And even if she did fail to escape, Harmony reassured herself that she could just wait a few more months to try again.

On the day before her last in the Eternal Abyss, she gave Calixte a piano book. The amphibian, though flattered by the gift, explained to the young woman that it was for beginners, more specifically children due to the cartoon pictures inside that Harmony had coloured in a year ago when she had found it. Harmony, of course, knew that it was for beginners, but gifted it to help any of Calixte's future students. With the piano now properly fixed, Harmony suggested to the amphibian that he should give lessons again.

The next gift Harmony gave was to Rin and Sumit. Though she wasn't particularly close to either of them as Corinna was, Harmony still felt it polite to at least give them something. To help decorate their new bedrooms, which Corinna had made, Harmony gifted Rin and Sumit a string of paper lantern lights and a pack of wooden coasters. Sumit greatly appreciated the gesture and the drink-related puns on the coasters whilst Rin gave a simple 'thank you' and a small smile.

Ivette's gift was easy to think of. Harmony simply gave her the green dress that Ivette had been pursuing for over a year, trying to form all sorts of deals to obtain it. Due to it being her favourite shade of green, Harmony had always refused. But seeing as she had to pack lightly to escape, there was no room for the dress. On the day before the 'big escape', when Harmony gave Ivette the gift, the trader smiled in delight upon finally having possession of the dress then soured, her eyes slightly watering.

"You're finally leaving, aren't you?"

Harmony nodded and accepted a hug from the old trader.

Now all that was left was Corinna's present.

Harmony found the young woman scavenging amongst the shop's shelves. After exchanging small talk, Harmony said, "there's somewhere I'd like to take you tonight."

"Where?" asked Corinna, curious.

Harmony smiled. "I promised I'd take you to go see where the wisps live."