Chapter 14

"Okay, hit me," said Logan as he plopped down on the couch, leaning his elbows on his knees as he scratched his stubble nervously.

"Okay, but I want the truth. I want real answers this time. I don't want excuses," I huffed, crossing my arms.

Logan nodded, encouraging me to continue.

"Why are you organising another Whipping?" I grunted, knowing that going in with the toughest question first was a bit risky, but it was the answer I wanted the most out of all of them.

Logan buried his face in his hands, huffing. "Do you really have to ask me that?"

"Yes," I announced, glaring.

"Eliza, I don't need anyone else's opinion right now on the matter. I'm trying to figure out what to do and you're just making it harder for me by asking this."

"Wow. That's your answer?" I laughed in disbelief, "you said you would answer my questions."

Logan gazed at me, his lips set in a firm line. He obviously wasn't going to be spilling anything today.

"Just forget it," I mumbled as I pushed myself up off the opposite couch, taking a few steps towards the door. However, Logan reached out for my arm, grasping it softly, sending tiny tingles to flow through it.

"Please don't leave. I'll answer."

I pulled my arm away, not enjoying the physical contact in a time like this. I pushed away the warm thoughts of Logan that were now invading my mind, wanting to be angry at him.

"Okay, so why?" I asked, nervously fiddling with my fingers as I placed myself on the edge of the couch.

Logan shook his head, puffing out all the air he had collected in his cheeks in angst. "My father had a lot of blood on his hands, Eliza. When he died, it then got transferred to Jordan, and when Jordan died, it then got transferred to me."

I shook my head; my eyes slightly squinted. "I don't understand."

Logan sighed, running his hands through his dark hair. "My father wasn't the best guy. He looked after his family and pack, don't get me wrong, but he saw no value in other people's lives. He killed for the fun of it, and, it's come back to haunt him."

"Or come back to haunt you?" I whispered.

Logan nodded. "People want revenge, Eliza. My father is dead, and so is my older brother, so who's the next best person for them all to target?"

I furrowed my brows, not understanding what it all had to do with organising another Whipping.

"People would jump at the chance to take this pack down, but they've been waiting. They've been waiting for the right time, and what is my biggest weakness? You."

I stared at Logan, my lips parted in shock.

"I've been told multiple times the day I find my mate is the day this pack will be destroyed. After years of no mate showing up, I organised the first Whipping because I didn't want to find you."

"I decided it was for the best. I wanted someone to have children with so my bloodline could continue, but someone that I wouldn't be attached to, so they couldn't be used against me. Then I found you."

The room was filled with silence, but this silence sounded deafening. A million thoughts were racing through my head and I didn't know what to think or feel. I was feeling every emotion under the sun.

"So you're organising another Whipping because you found me?"

"No...well yes," mumbled Logan as he moved towards me, crouching down in front of me, gazing up with his hazel eyes, holding an overwhelming sense of guilt and remorse. "I wanted to organise another Whipping to make people think I hadn't found my mate. People were starting to suspect and ask questions after what happened at the first event, and I wanted to keep you safe."