Chapter 40

Wattys deadline is Monday! Phew, just in time.
Two updates in one day... Never thought I'd achieve that one day!

What do you think of the picture with the chapter? It's a cover I made (I do not own the drawing itself though) and I'm thinking of changing it so Secret Wings looks less fairy-ish.
(The little winged sun design-thing is Sol's emblem if you were wondering what that was.)
Tell me what you think of it: not eye-catching enough, don't like the font... Anything;)

Read this chapter slowly, it's the last one!
(Props to me for making the last chapter fall on a multiple of ten;) )
---------------

Chapter 40

Everything after that happened like a blur. Chase was put into the 'sick-bay for extreme cases' -apparently hospitals weren't cool enough for magical places like this- where we were forbidden to visit him.

Autumn, Aiden, and I had to go back near Sol. Autumn because her family was worried, Aiden because he wasn't supposed to be here in the first place and shouldn't make things worse by staying longer, and me because the king had flown back to his burnt capital and wanted to talk to me.

It turned out that with the enemy army here, I was now in more danger in Aeolus than in the human world.

Grandpa had sighed, "I'm afraid this place never was that much safer, but as the selfish old man I shamefully admit I am, I didn't want to risk never seeing my granddaughter. I know I won't be around for too much longer. Once I had found you, I just couldn't let you get away. To be honest, I don't really regret my actions, just that I put you into danger."

"Grandpa, I was never in any danger. Not with Chase around. I do miss my dad; Allison, too, but I've never before felt like I belonged somewhere as much as I do here," I had answered.

It was agreed that my dad deserved the truth, although I would have to lie to Ali once again. Grandpa insisted that I at least spend a few days in the human world, to make sure I did want to leave it. Of course, I could come back anytime, but better safe than sorry.

***

I walked up to the front door of my house, feeling nostalgic. This was where I grew up, where I learned to ride a bike, where I made childhood friends.

I didn't have my keys, but that had happened before, whether I had forgotten them or had my hands too full -or was too lazy- to find them. I rang the door bell, three very fast rings, then, after a second, one longer one. My dad's and my secret ringing code, so that when we felt too lazy to answer to strangers, we could know when to open the door. This was also useful to know whether or not you could go answer the door in your pajamas.

There was a series of rapid footsteps, and the door unlocked from the inside.

"Hailey?" My dad stood in front of me, looking shocked.

A wave of homesickness washed over me.

"Daddy," I cried, throwing myself in his arms.

He held me tightly, as if I would disappear any minute, repeating my name like he couldn't believe it was really me.

Finally, we broke apart. Tears were running down my face, and my dad's eyes were bright with his own unshed ones.

"Where have you been? What happened? God, I was so worried! Come inside. Are you hurt? Are you okay?"

I managed a teary laugh, "Daddy, I can't answer all of that so fast. I promise you I'm okay, though. I'm great, even, except for the fact I missed you."

My dad drew me in a hug again.

"I missed you, too, Sweetheart." Then, he lifted is head and noticed Mason, my 'guard,' standing back awkwardly. "Who's this?"