16

[16

[16. "THEY'VE GOT KORRA"]

It was time for dinner. You sat between Aiwei and Mako.

Bolin and Opal chatted, Varrick was showing off his invention to Korra and Asami and the rest of the Beifongs ate their food happily.

"Is something wrong? You haven't touched your food" Mako spoke, being worried.

"No, nothing is wrong, I'm just.. thinking.. " you muttered.

"Thinking of what?" Mako asked, being curious. Ignoring Mako's question completely, you glanced to Aiwei, who was sitting next to you.

"Hey, Aiwei. May I ask you a question?", you said and smiled innocently.

"Go ahead.", he nodded.

"Were you outside yesterday, late at night?"

Aiwei widened his eyes and tensed up but tried to play it off quickly. "No, I was not. And even if I was, it's none of your business Y/n."

"Yes you were! I saw you- well kinda. It was dark.. so I couldn't really tell" you said and frowned.

"Maybe you saw a guard. As I said, it wasn't me. End of conversation. " Aiwei debated.

"But I heard your voice! You were talking with someone" You explained.

"Wh-what? What did you hear, exactly?" He started to get anxious and his face turned pale.

Even though you hadn't heard anything, you smirked and looked away, only to make Aiwei more anxious. He was obviously hiding something.

"Everyone! If I could have your attention please? Tonight my beautiful girl, leaves for the Northern Air Temple. Opal, we are all proud of you. You are an incredible daughter, sister, friend and soon to be an airbending master!" Suyin interrupted your conversation and then kissed her daughter on the cheek.

Aiwei kept tapping his finger on the table, glancing at you every now and then.

"Here's to Opal! May she help lead us to the new era!", Suyin added.

-
Hours later, Opal got in one of the airships and was headed to the Air Temple.

"I'm going to miss her" Bolin groaned. Opal and Bolin had developed a very nice relationship. The two of them had chemistry. You were sure that they were meant for each other.

"Awh, it's alright Bolin. You are going to see her again, so don't be sad" You said and patted his back.

"We'll head out first thing in the morning!" Lin reminded you and crossed her arms.

Bolin, sighed once again and everyone gradually walked back to their rooms for the night.

Except you.

Deep in thought, you were standing still and gazing at the sky.

You still had a weird feeling about Aiwei. What happened yesterday and who was he talking too? And the most important question is... why was he being so nervous at dinner?

Something was up and you knew it. Since dinner, Aiwei watching your every move. It made you very uncomfortable, to be honest.

You flinched when a hand was placed on your shoulder. A gasp escaped your lips, before you turned around.

"Oh! I'm sorry, I didn't mean to startle you..." Mako apologized and took his hand off you. "You seem a little off today. Did something happen? And could you explain what was that with Aiwei at dinner?"

"Nah, everything is fine, I'm very skeptical! The thing with Aiwei, well... It was just a misunderstanding. I'm so stupid, I thought I saw him yesterday, but it turned out that it was just a guard!" You said, laughing. 

You knew Aiwei was hearing everything you were saying right now. He was standing a few meters away, observing you two. So you had no choice but to lie.

Luckily, Aiwei was so anxious and focused on Mako and he didn't notice your lying.

Mako frowned and tilted his head to the side. Of course he didn't believe you. Before he could say anything, you took him by the hand.

"I'm tired. We should probably return to our rooms, we have to wake up early tomorrow!"  You muttered with a fake yawn.

"Yeah, I guess" Mako agreed and yawned too.  "Good night Aiwei", Mako said and waved when we walked past him.

Aiwei nodded, "Have a nice night".

Once you were finally outside of your room, you let go of Mako's hand quickly and sighed.

"What's wrong? Wh-

Before he could finish, you pushed your body on his and hugged him tightly.  At first, he froze but then hugged you back.

"Y/n you are worrying me. What's up with you today?!" He asked and tightened his grip.

"Mako, Aiwei is hiding something, I'm sure he is! Yesterday, late at night, I couldn't sleep so I took a walk around here. I think I saw Aiwei, I heard his voice too! He was speaking with someone.. They were near the gates. Also did you notice how anxious he got when I confronted him about it at dinner? I have a bad feeling..." You explained and then buried your face in his chest.

"Now that you mention it..  he seems very suspicious. What could he possibly do in the middle of the night near the gates?" Mako asked rhetorically, rubbing the back of his neck.

"Mhm" you mumbled, not even paying attention to him. You were sleepy.

"You know what? Get some rest, we will talk about tomorrow, okay?" Mako said and patted your head softly.

"Uhm- you.. you can let go of me now", he added awkwardly.

"mhm" you mumbled again, not letting go of him. "you are very warm"

"Yes, I.. I am a fire bender after all. But uh.. I have to go.. back to my room y/n and you need some sleep" Mako stated.

"Ugh fine", with a groan, you let go of him. He wished you a good night and walked away. When you entered your room, Asami was already asleep.

-
"They've got Korra!"

A scream woke you and Asami up.
You jumped out of bed, running outside to see what was happening. When doing so,  you almost tripped.

Your head was a little foggy, since you had just woken up.

"Are the Beifongs fighting again or something?" You asked, yawning and rubbing your eyes.

Suddenly, the noise of sirens echoed through Zaofu. They were very loud and it made your heart beat faster.

___
except slow updates from now on, because school started for me and I have many responsibilities <3 I hope you're enjoying this book so far☺

have a nice day ♡