Newt [31]

"Fry, trust me. I've got it covered." Y/N tried to sound as convincing as possible as she pushed her friend and fellow Glader out the door of the kitchen this morning. "You've been working your butt off, it's time you took a break."

"But why today?" Frypan complained. "I don't know what I'm gonna do! I sure as heck ain't running the maze!"

Y/N laughed, her hands on the door, ready to shut it. "Go ask Newt or something. Take a nap, I don't know. Find a deeper meaning to life."

Frypan pursed his lips and nodded. "Huh, doesn't sound half bad. Alright, see you."

Y/N had decided to give Frypan the day off. Of course, he genuinely needed a break. However, Y/N had other plans that needed Frypan out of the picture in order to do. Tonight, she wanted to make cookies for everyone. They'd just gotten a massive batch of flour up in the box, more than normal, and Y/N was going to take advantage of that. With Frypan here though, there was no way he'd allow her to do it. So, the simple solution was to get rid of him.

Dinner came and went. She'd pulled off the last meal of the day alone and now was prepping the batter for the cookies. This was going to be the surprise the Gladers needed after yet another month here with no sign of getting out.

She was so focused on her work and lost in the thought of all the smiles she'd see tonight that someone coming into the room couldn't break her focus. What could though, was a hand on her shoulder. Unfortunately, the sudden shock from the touch and the innate fear it was Frypan here to lecture her, sent the still soupy batter flying at an innocent face as she leapt up.

Newt stood completely still, his now damp, soggy hair hanging over his eyes. His face and front of body was completely covered in batter. Y/N's heart was doing flips as she wait for his reaction. Slowly, he lifted his hand and pushed the hair up out of his eyes. He raised an eyebrow and tilt his head.

"Hmph," He groaned. "Seeing as you've already made a huge bloody mess..." He reached out and took a handful of the goop from the bowl in his hand. "No shame in making it worse."

Y/N then realized his plan but it was too late. He rifled the slop at Y/N and it splattered across her face. For a moment, she stood there, mouth agape and eyes wide. "You little..."

"What?" Newt teased. "You were the one who started it."

Y/N bit her tongue and reached into the bowl once again, gathering up a pile of batter that could do some serious damage to his shoes, which had somehow made it this long unscathed. Or, maybe she could mash it into his hair and leave him smelling like cookie dough for weeks.

Newt saw she was thinking. "Uh, no! No you don't!" He hollered. Within the blink of an eye, he'd turned on his heel and was darting out the kitchen door. Y/N was ruthless, he knew that, and there was no doubt she was right on his tail.

Strange things happened in the Glade all the time. Seeing two people running around in a frenzy, covered in batter, was worth questioning. Though, no one was going to intervene because it was too entertaining.

Newt made a fatal error, looking back to see how close Y/N was. His flee ended with his back in the dirt, Y/N racing up and slamming the remaining batter in her hand onto his stomach. Newt let out a wheeze as he lifted his knees to shield his body from another hit.

"Y/N!" Frypan screamed. It wasn't a good kind of yell, either. Frypan was normally a very relaxed person and for him to raise his voice that much meant bad news.

Slowly, the girl turned her head to meet Frypans eyes and she immediately cowered. "Hey, Fry..."

The boy stood with his hands on his hips, eyeing Y/N down. "Wasting food?"

Y/N cringed. "Not that I meant to..."

Frypan took a deep breath and shook his head. Sure, he was mad that Y/N had caused a mess and wasted food, but he couldn't stay mad. This place they lived in was a shit-hole. He wasn't going to condemn innocent fun which had likely sprouted out of an accident.

"Chill," Frypan broke out in laughter. "Listen, I'll go deal with the kitchen while you two get cleaned up." The keeper held a hand out to Newt to help him up off of the ground.

With that, Frypan departed for the kitchen while Newt and Y/N went to find buckets of water and clean clothes. By the time they'd managed to sort their mess out and returned to the others who were all now around the bonfire, Frypan had a massive tray of cookies. Y/N snickered to herself.

"I never thought he'd do it." Y/N shook her head.

"Do what?" Newt asked.

Y/N happily took a cookie as Frypan approached the pair with a wide smile. "He made something other that what he deems 'essential'."

"Yeah, yeah." Frypan rolled his eyes. "There was still some batter left from your rampage. Wasn't gonna let it go bad! Y'know, if you wanted to make you cookies you could have just said something. You didn't need to kick me out of the kitchen for the day."

Y/N laughed. "Thanks, Fry."

Newt looked to Y/N with a little smile of amusement while she let her friend go off to deliver more cookies. He reached out and threw an arm around her shoulders. "Well, that was a good way to pass the day."