Chapter 3

"I'll repay you for the phone," she told him at the cashier, after running around and making him carry things for her.

"I'm telling you it's a present," he said again, irritated.

"I don't know how to use it though!"

"I know that- You know what, let's just go to my place and I'll start it up."

They left the store, carrying the things in a store-provided plastic bag.

"You doing anything later?"

"Just work, like always. Babysitting has always been kind of slow."

She managed to get him to carry her on his back after pestering and then just jumping onto his back without warning.

"Yaay!"

He only sighed, continuing to walk.

"Onward!"

. . .

He explained charging(like she didn't know that) and that they should let it charge.

While they waited, she broke into a bag of Arheads. Chewing one in her mouth, she was allowed to light up sparklers on his balcony he kept clear.

The two watched the sparklers crackle in her hands as they waited for her phone to charge a bit.

A soft yellow glow was caused by it, sparks flying off. She was crouching, holding two in her hands.

Her blue eyes swirled with the golden color being reflected, Liana thinking back.

"Lia."

She could hear a voice call her, from a memory. She closed her eyes. It was dark.

Something was glowing. A spark flew in from the side.

She could imagine everything, like she was back in the past.

"Lia," that gentle voice called again.

She turned her head to the side.

Someone with white hair, was calling her over. Crouching to the ground, he waved her over.

She stepped toward him. The dark melted away, replaced by what looked like proper ground.

Immediately, the darkness was gone. What was there, was a proper area of surroundings.

A little girl with sky blue hair that was unlike his, falling in soft waves that touched her shoulders. Rather than what should've been a high schooler walking his way, what approached him instead, were the tiny feet of a young child.

"What is it?" her sweet voice asked him, brimming with innocence.

She stopped in front of him, wearing a puffy light purple jacket, three feet in front of him.

Smiling, he gave her a metal stick to hold.

"Hold it down a bit." Tilting the end down, she watched as he brought out a lighter. With a flick, a tiny flame came out the top.

She watched, her eyes curious. He drew the flame closer to the end of her stick, and the metal glowed red. In the next instant, it became a yellow spark. Soon, she was holding a stick that had yellow sparks coming out, making crackling noises.

"Wah-!"

"Don't drop it!" his voice suddenly rose at her surprise, his hands hovering around her after tucking the lighter away.

Seeing the tiny firework in her hands, her eyes surprised, her mouth parted a bit. Her cheeks were rosy from the cold, her breaths coming out in white puffs.