Wattpad Original
This is the last free part

10 | Windows Should Be Unlocked

Layla pulled my room door shut

Layla pulled my room door shut. "Let's pick out your outfit for your date tomorrow!"

"Right, that." I sat on the bed, tucking one ankle behind the crook of my other knee.

My lips pressed together in a slight grimace. I twisted the lid off the carton of ice cream I grabbed in the caf and shoved my spoon in.

Layla leaned against the wall next to my closet. She crossed her arms, observing me. "You were so excited last Saturday when you messaged Blake, what happened in a week?"

"Alec happened." I swirled the spoon in the creamy dessert, wetting my lips. "He's so sweet and fun to talk to when he's got time. Which isn't a lot 'cause he's hella busy. But I'm busy too, so it all balances out."

"Uh-huh." Layla raised a brow and disappeared into the closet. Voices from the courtyard came in through the open window as other students went to and from dinner.

I leaned back, savouring the sweetness on my tongue. Chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream all the way.

Hangers scraped against metal as Layla perused the closet.

"He even gets my niche Shakespeare memes. I found an Othello one, and he loved it," I said with an unfocused smile. My subtle online stalking paid off.

"Glad you have similar tastes. I like those Stucky edits you sent me, by the way." Layla changed the topic, voice muffled.

"Anytime." I crossed my legs, shifting to get comfortable. "Got some awesome Marvel fanfic too if you're ever interested. I can hook you up." Did I spend too much time on Wattpad when I should be sleeping or working? You betcha.

"I won't take you up on that, but it's the thought that counts," she said.

"Yeah, yeah," I laughed.

Drawers scraped opened and shut as she searched my closet. After years of wearing a uniform, this summer I bought a whole new wardrobe- basic stuff. I found what I liked and purchased it in other colours.

"How're things with Emily?" I asked, balancing my ice cream carton in my lap. Layla hadn't mentioned the bartender from The Cursed Night™️ in a while.

She poked her head out of the closet, eyes glowing. "It's going great! We're going out later tonight."

"That's nice." I rapped my fingers against my thigh. At least one of us had Friday night plans.

I fluffed a pillow and put it behind me to lean on.

"How about this?" Layla held up an outfit. She looked it up and down, pursing her lips.

"Never mind, this isn't it," she muttered to herself before I could say a word.

I picked at my chipped pink polish. "Alec just gets me, should I bother going on this date with Blake? We've barely texted all week."

icon lock

Show your support for Nikki Pierce, and continue reading this story

by Nikki Pierce
@NikkiPierceBooks
Eighteen-year-old Nat falls for five different boys during her first...
Unlock a new story part or the entire story. Either way, your Coins help writers earn money for the stories you love.

This story has 25 remaining parts

See how Coins support your favorite writers like @NikkiPierceBooks.