Newt [32]

She was exhausted. The tired wasn't a cause of running all day, little to no food, water or sleep since the WICKED compound. Her fatigue was from constant hopeless thoughts and no horizon to set her eyes on. They were in search of this so called paradise all for what? So they might live as immunes while the rest of the world be left to rot? What sort of a life was that? To Y/N, it just sounded like the Glade all over again but in a new and improved location and no memory wipes. She saw no real cause to keep fighting for. They could stop their journey right here, right now. If they just remain to lay here through the night instead of walking, this whole fight would be over.

"Time to go everybody," Thomas rasped. His voice was dry and coarse.

Y/N didn't move. She couldn't. There wasn't enough life inside of her to even muster a push of mental strength. It was all gone. A deep, empty ache in her stomach was all she felt. And no, that hollow feeling was not of hunger. It was of remorse and regret. She thought of Chuck, Winston Alby and Gally. She now wished she was with them, wherever they were.

Feet slowly stumbled her way, becoming more clear with each step. They stopped right in front of her face. "Let's go."

That was all she needed to hear for the familiar feeling of stinging in her eyes to make an unwelcome appearance. She knew if she spoke, the words wouldn't come out clear. Nevertheless, the did. "I'm so tired."

Newt felt his heart tighten. This despairing walk through the Scorch wasn't easy on anyone. They'd just lost Winston. Things were beginning to look bleak. He feared the day he wouldn't be able to wake up one of his friends and get them to take just a few more steps. It wasn't Y/N though, that he expected to be refusing to get up. Maybe, it wasn't so much that he didn't expect it to be Y/N struggling now. But, it was the fact that he refused to ever see her stopping as an option. He wasn't going anywhere without her.

"You need to get up, love." Newt coxed. "We've got a ways to go yet."

The girl looked up from where she lay, body aching as if her muscles had been frozen while spending the night at the top of worlds highest mountain in a bone chilling storm. As she let her eyes scan forward to the direction they'd be heading, nothing inside of her ignited. No hope. No motivation. All she could see was desert and mountains far off in the distance, no closer now than they had been the day before.

Y/N squeezed her eyes shut. "Newt—"

"No." He stopped her. "I'm not going to hear it."

"We—" She tried again.

"Let's go." He ushered. With not willing to hear what she had to say, he lifted her up to a sitting position. "We're moving on, alright? This isn't where we stop. This isn't where I'm losing you."

The next think she knew, Newt had her on her feet. That tattoo on the back of his neck always spoke for itself.

All it took was the touch of his hand. She knew she had to stay. To keep going. Y/N had retreated so far into herself she had stopped caring because she was only thinking of herself. When thinking about paradise, she hadn't thought about being there with Newt or the others. Life was different with others. Now, more than ever, was not the time to see life as a solo journey.

Wind began kicking up some sand at their faces. Y/N grabbed onto Newt's arm and hid her face against his body. He wrapped his arm around her head while they waited for the gust to pass.

The world was cruel to them. But, that was just it. It was cruel to them. Everyone together as a whole. Leaning on one another, they were stronger. Though, it was easy to lose sight of at times.