Selfish (Mark)

BANG!

The noise caused Y/N to lift her head from her papers. That sounded like a door slamming. Which meant Mark must be back home and the thought of him slamming the door made Y/N get up and race down the stairs, her heart hammering against her chest.

When he saw Y/N his expression changed to an enraged one. He slung his bag off his shoulder and threw it aside, its contents be damned. His reaction frightened her. She'd never him like this. "You're home?" He asked as if he couldn't believe his eyes.

Ignoring his question, she stated her own, "Mark, is something wrong?"

"Is something wrong?" He repeated with incredulity. "I don't know Y/N, you tell me! I'm just so sick of it." His face looked pained as he said that. "I'm sick of wondering whether you still have any place in your life for me."

Y/N was not expecting that. She walked towards him and stood close enough to touch him but dared not to. Up close she could see the remains of glitter on his face that hadn't washed off. "Why would you say that? You know I love you," She said, distressed.

"How can I know that when you don't show it?" He said bitterly. "You didn't show up for my performance, again. I rarely ever see you anymore. You don't have time to go on dates, you don't..." he looked at her despairingly. "Is your work that important? More important than me? Unless... it isn't work, it is someone el-"

"Mark!" She cried. She grabbed the front of his jacket and begged him to look at her. "I'm the CEO now, Mark. It's a huge responsibility, you know it! The whole company is riding on me - look at me - I have to give my best."

"What about me, then?" He held her shoulders. "What am I to you? I have a busy schedule too! But I always, always, take out time for you. And you know why? You're important to me, that's why." He let go of her. "Sometimes I feel like, like, I don't know you anymore. You care about no one but yourself. Why are you so selfish?" He emphasized the last two words.

Y/N let go of his jacket and stepped back. "I am selfish? Is it selfish of me to try to achieve my dream? You got yours by becoming an idol. When you became an SM Rookie you broke up with me because you wanted to concentrate on your eventual debut and your career. Don't you remember that?" Her eyes blazed. "But I didn't abandon you as you did to me. So whose love and loyalty should really be questioned here?"

Mark's eyes were wide and all colour drained from his face. "Y/N, I -" but the girl had already turned away from him. She bounded up the stairs and slammed the bedroom door behind her as Mark had done a few minutes ago. She locked herself inside and sank to the floor, where she started sobbing.

"Y/N! Open the door!" Mark shouted as he banged his fist on the wood. "I'm sorry! I didn't mean to say that. You're not selfish, you're not!"

Y/N covered her face with her hands and cried for what felt like an hour but could've been a few minutes. Mark had stopped trying to get her to open the door, but he was still sitting behind it; she could see his shadow from under it. She wiped away the tears from her face and slowly got to her feet.

She grabbed her purse that had most of her essentials and car keys. Her pajamas and her wet hair from her shower didn't matter to her. She just wanted to get out. Mark had been sitting on the floor, leaning against the door. He would've fallen inside if she hadn't been opening it slowly. "Y/N," Mark said despairingly, now on his feet. And when Y/N walked past him he grabbed her arm to stop her.

"Let go, Mark," she said, trying to free her arm. "I don't want to see you right now."

"I didn't mean it. The stress of my work is getting to my head."

She looked at him for a full ten seconds. She couldn't believe it. Her sweet Mark, who was quick to laugh, who always cared about her, who smiled for her, whom she loved would resent her like this. "I don't know, Mark," she said at last. "I know we haven't been spending much time together but do you think I want to work my ass off and not hang out with you? I thought you'd understand."

"I should have spoken rationally instead of attacking you like that," he said. His voice held so much remorse and his eyes such sadness that it broke her heart. "Just... stay. Please." Y/N blinked back the tears in her eyes and gave a weak nod. Mark looked evidently relieved.

He tentatively took the purse from Y/N's hand and led her inside their shared bedroom. Upon seeing the papers and files scattered on the bed, he turned towards her. "Are you going to work right now?" Y/N shook her head in reply. Mark gathered the items and placed them neatly on the table. After placing Y/N's laptop next to the pile he tucked her in bed, then slid in next to her.

It was a while before Mark found Y/N's hand. Slowly, they edged towards each other and got wrapped in each other's arms. Y/N's eyelids became heavy. The last thing she remembered before falling asleep was a gentle kiss on her forehead.

xxx

This imagine was requested by @Straykidstreasure13

If you liked this imagine, give it a vote.