Chapter 111

Lady K

Knock! Knock!

Oma slowly let go of her Pomeranian dog when she heard the creaking sound of her door as it opened. It had been a habit, holding onto her puppy and rubbing its fur to pet her whenever she needed to think about anything. It had been a rough week for her, more like a rough year and she found herself lost in her thoughts every now and then. A lot had happened that she needed time getting used to. It was almost like her whole world was turning upside down all of a sudden and it felt so suffocating.

Her dog scurried away the moment Amanda walked inside, taking her time, her hands folded beneath her breast and her eyes glued to Oma. She drew a deep breath and then took a quick scan around Oma's properly arranged room. If there was one thing she loved about Oma, it was her ability to always keep everything about her so neat and organized. She didn't even need a maid to do so. She couldn't stand being in an untidy or disorganized environment. All her books were arranged neatly on the small shelf beside her reading table and her bed was neatly laid. Amanda turned back to Oma who just watched her, wondering why she was there at that time of the night? Was she finding it hard to sleep just as she was?

"Can we talk?"

Oma shrugged her shoulders and sat up. Not like she was busy doing anything anyway. Maybe it was good if she actually talked to someone. Her life was getting lonelier by the second. She could really need the company.

Amanda saw Oma's silence as an invitation to join her. She walked slowly to Oma's bed and sat in it. Right beside her.

"Is there something I need to know?" Oma kept her eyes on her. She could see how Amanda had given her joined hands a lot of attention as she rubbed her fingers against each other, with a huge frown on her face. She could sense something was bothering her. Amanda drew a deep breath and then looked up, she let herself smile a little bit.

"I just got a call from Benjamin Ozor." She told her. Oma rose her left brow. That wasn't surprising. Why? "He wants us to go on with plans for your traditional wedding with Jeremiah. He thinks it should be held in seven days."

Oma lowered her gaze.

"Oh." She had not seen that coming at all. On a normal day, a news like that would have excited her a lot but after everything that had happened, after talking to Kingsley, she wasn't so sure about how she felt about anything anymore. She wasn't sure how to feel about the news and Amanda could see it. She wasn't so excited as she hoped she would. She pushed herself closer to Oma. "What do you think?" She asked her.

"What did you tell him?"

"That I would think about it, and ask you if you're okay with it of course. Are you ready for it? If you're not, I could call him back and tell him you're not ready-"

"No," Oma cut her off, letting her face and mood brighten a little bit. "I'm ready." She rose her eyes to Amanda. "Tell them we'd be ready."

Amanda exhaled.

"Oma-"

"I just want to get this done and over with and move on. It was gone on way too long."

"Oma, it's okay to not want this. You know that right,? it's okay to ask for more time. There's no need to rush things, if you need some time to think it through-"

"There's nothing to think about." Oma assured her. "Jeremiah is my soulmate. We've been engaged for practically all my life, I've waited for this moment forever, I want this. I should get married to him."

"Do you want to get married to him?"

Oma paused. She took a minute, looking into her mother's eyes. For the first time she was hesitating when she was asked a question like that. She let out a shaky breath and then turned to her joined fingers, she rubbed them against each other.