Chapter 3

Chapter 3

My eyes met Everett’s unwelcoming ones, as I felt a shudder send down my spine. I was unable to speak, as my throat felt tight and dry.

                “I suggest you leave now, before I humiliate you in front of everyone outside.” Everett glared at me.

                I stared down at my feet, as I avoided any eye contact with Everett. His eyes were just so demeaning and intense, and I couldn’t hold his gaze for more than a few seconds. If I did, then I was scared that I would’ve broken down into tears. “I can’t leave,” I muttered, “my mom’s here.”

                Everett’s features softened for a minute at the sound of me mentioning my mother. I knew Everett always had a soft spot for my mother, because she was like his second mom. Colette and my mother were always around each other, so Everett grew on my mother quickly. “Well, just because she’s welcome, doesn’t mean you are.” Everett grumbled, before disappearing outside to the backyard.

                Shortly after Everett left, I stood frozen in his living room, paralyzed. I was on the verge of tears when my mother came back with Mr. Rosenfeld. Both of them had drinks in their hands, and my mother frowned when she saw me. “Riley? Honey, what are you still doing in here?” my mother asked. “Let’s go outside. I heard one of my high school friends are here!”

                I forced a smile, as I followed my mother and Mr. Rosenfeld outside. The air was warm, and smelt strongly of charcoal. I recognized some of my mother’s old friends and husbands, and a lot of Everett’s friends from school.

                “Audra!” a woman squealed, placing her beer down on the patio table to give my mother a warm hug. “I haven’t seen you since Riley was still three feet!”

                My mother grinned, happier than I have seen her in months. “It’s great to see you, Beatrice! Where’s your daughter?”

                Beatrice scanned her eyes over to where all Everett’s friends were hanging around, laughing obnoxiously. I caught his eyes for a second, before he turned away with a scowl plastered across his face. My heart sank, as Beatrice waved her hands to a strawberry blonde. “Cassandra, come here for a second!”

                The strawberry blonde got up from her seat, which was placed in between two guys, as she skipped over towards us. She frowned when she saw me, but immediately smiled when her eyes casted back to her mother’s.

                “What’s up?” she asked, giving us a curious smile.

                My mother beamed, as she pulled Cassandra into a tight hug. Cassandra’s eyes widened with confusion for a minute, before she let out a soft chuckle. She hugged my mother back before the two of them pulled away.

                “Honey, do you remember Aunt Audra and Riley?” Beatrice asked her daughter. Cassandra looked unsure, as she stared intently at my mother. “She’s the woman that used to give you those rainbow sprinkled cookies when you were little!”

                Cassandra’s eyes suddenly brightened with reorganization, as she nodded. “That was you?” she grinned. “I miss those cookies so much!”

                My mother’s cheeks turned dewy and red from happiness, as she smiled at Cassandra. “Well, you’ll be getting some more of them once your mother and I exchange numbers!”

                Beatrice laughed, before she gave my mother a hearty pat on the back. “We have so much to catch up on!” she threw her head back with laughter. She turned to Cassandra, before she pushed her towards me. “Honey, do you think you could hang around with Riley for tonight? She looks a bit on the shy side!”