0.20

chapter 20

"so you're living with sarah cameron now?" kiara asks, her tone on edge as she delivers water for the team. 

after the events of hawks nest john b had been sent to the hospital while the rest of the team had gone their separate ways. after the news that john b was finally out of the hospital with only a mild concussion and a broken arm, they had decided to meet at the wreck, which was where they currently were. 

john b sighs at kiara's words. "okay, look, the only reason i'm living there is because her dad bailed me out, right? and it's way better than foster care, which, by the way, is where i was about to go if ward didn't--" "hey, so do you have a membership to the clubs now?" pope interrupts, indifferent to what john b had said before. 

john b shakes his head as he takes a seat in one of the chairs. 

"i don't know, pope" 

jj points at him, taking a sip of his water "what about those golf carts they drive around? you get one of them?" he asks, walking around the table to take a seat beside india. 

india watches the interaction, feeling sorry for how the group is bashing john b. 

"does it come with a sweater-vest or do you have to buy one of your own?" pope asks, his hands on the back of his neck as he lays back on his chair. 

"look you promised. you said you weren't with her" kiara tells john b quietly. it hurt her to see that john b had lied to her and broken his promise. 

"bro, just own it. she got you" jj tells him, motioning to kiara. 

"look if you wanna hang out with her, that's fine. but i'm letting you know that i'm not doing anything with sarah" kiara continues, her tone serious and straight to the point. 

"do you guys see her here?" john b asks, looking around the restaurant. 

 he nods after a moment of silence. "no, right. okay. a little focus would be fantastic. we've got the map, right?" 

"well it's out of whack cause the guy was ganja's when he drew it" jj jokes, looking at the map that lays on the table. 

"it's because the coast has changed" india explains, motioning to the coast on the map. jj looks up at india, raising his eyebrows at her sarcastically. 

"so we just have to look for landmarks that haven't changed" pope pitches in, trying to figure out the map. 

"what about the old forts?" john b asks, looking at the team. 

"battery jasper" 

"yeah, it should be around there" pope nods before folding up the map.

"let's go" 

___

"not the crain house" john b complains, sighing as he turns off the van. 

the group piles out of the car, staring at the torn down spooky house in front of them. 

"are you kidding me?" kiara exclaims, looking at the house. 

india frown, turning to jj. "why are you all worried about a house? who lives there?" she asks. 

jj turns to her, realizing that after all, india was new to town. "this is the worst-case scenario" he explains, motioning to the house. he doesn't really explain much else.