Chapter Six: Sixth Year

Harry hadn't been the same.

As he shot his silent best friend a sideway glance, The-Boy-Who-Lived kept his face behind a mask of mild irritation and indifference. But Hermes had been best friends with the bloke for years. He knew of the inner turmoil swirling inside his heart, waiting for a trigger that would make him explode.

"Snape as the new DADA professor," Ron quipped with a frown, oblivious to the ticking bomb standing beside him. "I still can't wrap my head around the fact that smarmy git is teaching anything besides Potions. Honestly, after that Umbridge fiasco last year, I was hoping DADA would be better this year."

"At least we'll be able to practice with wands," Hermes offered, finally deciding that dwelling on Harry's worrisome behavior would lead him nowhere. "Besides, you'd seen him duel back in second year. He is... capable, for lack of a better word."

"Duelling against Lockhart, Hermes, blimey," Ron said with a derisive snort. "Any wizard you pit against that slimy peacock would surely look capable enough."

The corner of his mouth twitched, reminiscing their second year DADA professor. Admittedly, he was blinded by his lies in his books; Merlin, that man could really embellish his words enough to make everything believable! Hermes had high regards for him, even briefly considering him as one of his heroes, until said professor was actually a fraud with brilliant skills on Memory Charm.

Hermes glanced at his silent best friend once more. "Do you think Snape is a good teacher for Defense, Harry?" he softly asked.

Harry rapidly blinked, snapping off whatever reverie he was in, and distractedly looked at Hermes. "Probably," he simply said. "I dunno."

Hermes glanced at Ron. The redhead merely sighed and shook his head, seemingly at loss on how to interact with Harry nowadays too. Hermes was just thankful that Harry was still accompanying them anywhere they went. He worried what he would do if he was left alone, and made Ron promise that they'd be with Harry through and through whatever happened this year.

They finally arrived at the Great Hall. Ron was practically brimming with excitement upon the sight of the feast, briskly walking away from his best friends to start piling food onto his plate.

In spite of himself, Hermes smiled. At least Ron hadn't changed, despite the atrocities they had witnessed back at the Department of Mysteries.

Hermes looked down at Harry once more. He'd grown a few inches taller this summer again and was practically the same height with Ron. Harry, though, seemed to stop growing since last year. He was thinner, too, and Hermes frowned, vowing to force food into his mouth just to keep him energized. With Voldemort now prowling the streets, Harry couldn't afford to get sick.

"Harry..." he said, but Harry already held up a hand.

"Save it, Hermes," he grumbled, mild annoyance flitting on his face. "I'm fine."

Hermes grabbed onto his shoulder to stop him from walking. The bespectacled wizard hesitantly glanced at his eyes, and for a moment, Hermes saw the true grief behind his emerald eyes. Swallowing a worried lump, Hermes hastily looped an arm over Harry's neck and crashed him against his chest.

"Harry," he started once more, "you know that we're willing to listen when you need someone to talk to, yeah?"

"Geroff, 'Ermes," he said, his voice muffled against his chest.

Hermes sighed and hesitantly loosened his grip. Harry playfully glared at him and muttered "Wanker" under his breath before slipping beside Ron. The curly-haired brunet fondly smiled at Harry's disheveled raven hair, noting the hint of a smile on Harry's face.