Golden retriever

"Are you an idiot or are you pretending to be one?" The wolf boy asked, his tone harsh as always.

I looked away from his eyes, unable to stand the cold, scornful stare.  Focusing my eyes on the front, it was then that I noticed something else. The street was full and bursting with liveliness. The crowd was buzzing and the summer heat was pleasantly warming my skin.  But I couldn't help my stare at the people. There were normal people, of course. Humans like you and me (unless you're not human, then excuse me).

Except, they were humans with an extra pair of wings or horns. Hell, most of them had a different set of ears. 

Suddenly, I remembered something from the history books I read back in the palace before. If the Kingdom of Altair was famous for its trade, then the Rose Kingdom was famous for its Beastmen. 

So that means... Nekos are real   (╯✧ ∇ ✧)╯(cough cough)

But... Since I came here, how come I didn't see any of this before?

Next to me, I finally felt the burning stare disappeared as the boy turned his gaze away from me. The scowl on his face etched even deeper into his face. 

"Must be one of the rich bastards from the other side of the street" He grumbled under his breath. He looked at me with even more derision and contempt than compared to before.

I didn't say anything back because I didn't know what to say. We continued to walk in silence and soon, we arrived at the pawnshop.

"Manager! I got some goods!" The grey-haired boy yelled into the shop, entering it without much of a care. Soon, a shuffling sound could be heard within a store as a big figure emerged from the inner part of the tore.

It was a middle-aged man. His face still young with hints of wrinkled, indicating his age. Atop his strange white, a pair of goat hairs lied firmly on top. The man adjusted the glasses on top of his nose before taking a look at his new customers. 

"It's you again, boy?" The man said fondly despite the harsh tone. He walked up behind a counter, wiping it down with a napkin he pulled out from his pocket. "Ok, what do you have for me?

The boy smirked proudly, walking up to the counter. Then pulling a wrapped black object from his inside his shirt, he placed it on top of the counter.

The goat man carefully uncovered the black cloth to reveal the item underneath. It was a small golden pocket watch. 

"Hmm..." The older man held up the watch to his face, evaluating its worth. "It's made out of real gold alright." 

"Must be worth a lot, eh?" The young boy smirked.

"I'll give you 1000 for it."

"C'mon, at least 3k," the boy tried to bargain.

"2k, take it or leave." The older man stated firmly, not budging on his decision. 

"Fine."

The transaction went smoothly. Taking his money, he turned to me before handing me $600 bucks.

"What?" I asked, confused.

"Your 30%, " He answered simply. 

Wait, is he talking about when I asked him to split the money 3-7? He's actually giving it?

Hey, hey, hey. I never turn down free money.

Taking the money, I followed after the boy as he left the shop. He walked down the streets casually with his hands in his pocket as I tailed after him. Traversing through the bright and lively street, I copied a grey-hair boy as he took a left turn. Another left. Then, a right turn. We continued in that manner before arriving at another dark alleyway.

"What?" He finally snapped at me, turning back to face me, "Why are you following me?!"

"Well... I'm lost?" To be honest, I got no idea where I am. I was lost ever since I being chased by the poor guy who got stolen from. 

"Whaaattt?" He scowled. 

Crossing my arms across my chest, I challenged him:  "It's your fault I even got lost in the first place."

The boy shot me a dirty look, glaring before he finally gave up and turned around to walk again. 

I followed him, neither of us saying a word as we travelled deeper into the alleyway. Taking another left, we arrived at a dead-end and I finally got to know why we're here. 

 There were a couple of children laid on the ground, face smeared with dirt. There was a poor attempt to build a shelter since it was just a couple of sticks trying to hold up a ragged straw roof. Their clothing was shaggy and dirty, the bones beneath their skin were glaringly obvious. The children noticed the young boy's return as they all got up and greeted him happily.

They were all younger than him. 

The seemingly 10-year old wolf boy smiled happily as he played around with the children. 

From the back of the alleyway, a tall figure approached the young boy before snatching him up in a chokehold. The boy's blue cap fell onto the ground as the boy was suddenly yanked into the air. 

The figure let out a boisterous laugh, ruffling the boy's hair roughly as the child continued to flail in the air.

"Back already, pup?" The figure asked in a clear voice. Deep enough to be recognized as a man's voice. 

"Let... me go!" The boy struggled. Breaking out of the larger man's grasp, he immediately darted away from the figure before he ran to hide behind me.

Using my larger frame as a shield, he peeked out from behind before sticking out his tongue. 

"I told you not to do that, Jay!" The young boy complained. 

The other person just let out another laugh, taking a step closer to me and into the light. 

The young man was tall, wearing a plain white shirt coupled with brown trousers.  His white shirt was surprisingly clean, seemingly out of place with the dirty surroundings.  Smirking, his hands were resting on top of his hip in a relaxed pose.

"Oh, who's this?" The man asked, his green eyes shining with curiosity.

With his soft and cute looks, he was what you called the 'puppy dog type.' 

Literally.

A pair of dog ears laid matted on top of his beautiful golden hair. He tilted his head to the side, his face full of confusion. You could almost see a question mark floating on top of his head. 

I turned my face to the side to prevent him from seeing the smile that was spreading across my face. 

Oh my god, he looks like a golden retriever. So cute!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Oof, sorry about lying about the update before. I've been really, really busy during June, especially during the last few weeks. After June, I was completely burnt out and honestly forgot about it for a while. I'm sorrrryyyyyy! 

m(_ _)m

This chapter will be edited soon. So please forgive me for any mistakes. [Note my grammar isn't the best haha]

Anyways, please vote, comment and enjoy!!