Chapter 30

"Just come over, and I'll be there soon." Lavender said, her voice bouncing as she seemed to be running.

I repositioned the phone to my ear. "Alright."

She hung up, and I started the ignition. As I drove to Lavender's, I tried to remember where she had hidden the keys. In New York, you should always change the hiding place of your keys at least once a month.

As soon as I got there I went straight to the door, searching around. I bent down, peeking under the mat. Bingo.

I sighed, standing up again and unlocking the door. I smiled at the smell of cookies, and warmth. Christmas was Lavender's favorite holiday, and she was always festive.

I put my keys on the counter, and strode into the living room. Pulling out my phone, I scrolled through my junk mail.

"What are you doing here?" A voice asked.

I jumped slightly, looking behind me. Nathaniel stood there, shirtless.

Awkward. I stood up, taking a breath and forcing my eyes to stay on his face. "I'm meeting Lavender here."

He nodded, looking around the room, obviously avoiding my gaze.

I had to say what was on my mind. "Where's Aubrie?"

Nathaniel raised an eyebrow. "She's not in the picture anymore."

I snorted.

"What?" He clipped.

I started to pace. "Oh nothing. Just, I feel bad for any girl that will eventually end up with a person like you."

Nathaniel looked taken aback, hurt flashing across his face. "You're not a walk in the park either, sweetheart."

Something exploded inside me. "Did she realize that you're not the person you say you are?"

"Excuse me?"

I stared at him. "Please. You act like this big-shot, when really you're a lying loser who'll do anything to keep a secret. Not to mention a player." I added childishly.

He sarcastically laughed, stepping closer to me. "At least I don't bottle up all my emotions inside, and constantly act like everything is okay."

I glared. "What, gonna pull the parent card again?"

Nathaniel stopped edging closer, his fury dying. I backed off aswell, immediately feeling regret. I know he hadn't meant it when he said it.

"I'm sorry." I murmured.

He looked up, shaking his head. "No. You shouldn't be the one apologizing. I've been a jerk."

He suddenly chuckled, holding up a finger. He disappeared from the room, and moments later came back in clothed in a maroon T-shirt.

He walked to the couch, patting the seat next to him. I agreed after moments of contemplation, and sat down next to him.

"We need to talk." I reasoned, sighing.

Nathaniel nodded. "What do you want to start with?"

"That night." I said, almost in a full whisper.

"What do you want to know?"

I watched him. "Why didn't you tell me you left three years ago?"

"Because of why, I left there years ago. Our relationship was so new, and I didn't want to jeopardize it." He paused, and held out a hand. "Can I take your jacket? It's a long story."