Chapter 13: Baby Steps

#2941

Rose never shies away from professing her love for babies. Today, she pulled me with her to a mother-toddler activity organized in our vicinity and I must admit it was wonderful to watch those tiny feet tumble, stumble and make their way besides their mother.       
One thing that touched my heart was no matter how many times they fell they stood up again with renewed vigor and joy. They're resilient but mostly they've got an unwavering spirit. We, adults, lose that as we grow up but if we let the child in us not die, we might as well have another chance at life.
It is all about taking those baby steps.

~ Aavya, on a day out with Rose.

❋❋❋

Aman wasn't having a great start this morning. He had cut his chin while shaving and it unmistakably wasn't a small one. It had left quite a visible mark on his fair skin. 

" Mumma, hey... Do you possibly have a bandage? Mumma..." He went right into the kitchen.

" Well, your mother isn't here. But, your father might have one for that cut." Aman, still with his wet hair and half-buttoned shirt turned to find Ansh sitting at the dining table. He was sure he had not seen him before. 

" Uh-huh... You still haven't gotten around shaving your chin, have you?" Ansh asked without even looking at him. 

Aman quickly buttoned his shirt and moved his hand through his hair, a habit derived from his father. 

" I'm fine. I'll manage." He shouldn't have shaved in the first place. Beard looked good on him but it annoyed him on the sunny days. 

" Ayan... Ayan... Where the hell..." Aman wanted his brother's company right now.  

" He's already in his office, making sure that your impromptu unprofessionally scheduled meeting goes well." Ansh scoffed.

" What is with you? Really?" Aman did make the mistake of sitting in front of his father which he will regret that day. They haven't had a face-to-face talk since he arrived. With the absence of others, this morning was about to get rusty.

" Calling a meeting with the board in 24 hours of informing them about the same is highly unacceptable and unprofessional. I would have not so politely declined if it hadn't been for Ayan's convincing. This also proves that you..."

" That I know nothing in this industry you work in, right. This also proves that I was right to run away. Which makes sense because I would have never been able to work like Ayan. So, you see Papa you're at no loss. I'm no good. And thankfully I know that and so do you... " He was about to get up and leave when Ansh spoke in a voice that wasn't as agitated as it ought to be.

" I didn't raise you like this, did I, Aman? " He knew when his father felt insulted but the lack of closure between the two of them pushed him a bit far. It was either him or Ansh but he knew he gave in too early.

" Well, looks like I'm the black sheep of this family. "

" Why did you go away, Aman? " Apart from arguing about all those points Aman threw at him, Ansh had just one lingering question.

" You know that..."

" No, Aman. All I know is from whom you ran away. The 'why' is that needs to be answered."

" Papa, let's not talk about this. "

" Why not son? Why not? You sit here, right here, and tell me everything." Aman was still standing.

" And if you did have the courage to flee and then why come back at all, huh? We're doing good without you. "

Aman didn't answer. His heart was broken. Only he knew how much courage he had to gather just to show his face to the father he betrayed. The burden he was feeling was enormous as if a huge boulder had been placed right on his delicate heart.