9. The Promise

"It's alright Samar—It's just a mock exam—! You can try again—!" I tried to comfort her, putting my hands on her shoulders. My heart breaking, watching her wail. Suddenly, she looked up and slapped away my hands with a jerk.

"ALRIGHT?!! Alright, you say?!! What do you even know? HUH?! Everything is so easy for you Aasiya!! You have everything!! Everything and everyone! While I—Did you even think how I feel?!! You are always so oblivious in your perfect little world! Did you think how pathetic I looked by your side—?!" Her voice cracking as she watched me with hate filled eyes. I couldn't believe this was the same Samar, I knew—How did I never notice that she—

I wasn't sure how long had it been since I was sitting by the lake, when a stray memory came back to haunt me. However, soon enough I was brought out of my daydream by someone's footsteps. I could easily recognise that familiar sound by now.

I looked over my shoulder to find Hadi standing with arms crossed over his chest, looking down at me.

Sparing him a single glance, I returned my attention to the lake. Moments passed when I felt Hadi coming to sit by my side. I waited for him to say something but when he didn't after some time passed, I finally gave in and turned to him. His gaze was focussed on the lake but on noticing my stare he turned to look at me. I couldn't read his expressions but I could feel my cheeks getting wet.

His eyes didn't waver until I heard my own sobs and turned away sharply to hide my face between my knees. I couldn't stop crying. I didn't want to stop.

Hadi didn't say anything. He didn't try to calm me down but he didn't leave my side either.

After what felt like an eternity, when I had finally calmed down, I raised my head; rubbing my cheeks with the back of my hand roughly. When suddenly, I saw the hanky Hadi was holding out to me. For a blank moment, I watched between him and the handkerchief before taking it and wiping my tears.

By then, he had turned and started walking away. I stared after his retreating back when he suddenly stopped and turned his head ever so slightly in my direction. I felt my lips quiver again, but somehow, my feet worked their way to him.

He waited until I had reached his side before beginning to take slow steps. I almost tripped on a rock, when Hadi grabbed at my hand protectively.

I froze at his touch and he seemed to sense it, as he let go immediately. His face a mixture of shock and guilt before he turned his back to me. When he began to walk, I sensed he was being cautious that I followed him safely. So, without thinking, I clutched the back of his jacket.

For a moment, he froze in his place but then he began walking again without saying anything.

There wasn't anything that needed to be said. Silence can sometimes convey what words fail to.

—————————

After lunch, I went to my room. Amo had become a little concerned since yesterday. There was no point in lying, since I came back with a beaten up Hadi too. But when I would keep saying nothing's wrong and hug her, she would give up. It was better than telling her the truth about how everything is so very wrong and how it could get worse but never better.

I was lying on my bed thinking about everything and nothing in particular, when a knock on my door cut short my train of thoughts.

"Come in." I called out, sitting up straight, thinking it was Zahra or Amo but Hadi came in.

I sat there watching him open-mouthed who in turn stared at me blankly. Turning away for a moment, as if thinking about something before he began to make his way to me. I could only gape at him dumbfounded whose face remained as inscrutable as ever. Just then, he looked away and extended his hand. Blinking, I brought my gaze to the first-aid kit in his hand.