Go Quickly to Sleep (Levi x Reader)

Author's Note: This story was originally published under the title "Stay with Me". However, after hearing about an interview with Isayama, I decided to change it. Isayama stated that if he could say anything to Levi, it would be "Go quickly to sleep", because Levi has such bad insomnia and deserves some rest. I think that perfectly captures Reader-chan's feelings in this story.

It had been seven months since you joined the Special Operations Squad under Captain Levi. In that time, you had become quite close with your comrades, even your cold (and somewhat frightening) superior. You attributed that last part to the fact that neither of you slept much, and so would occasionally keep each other company late into the night, long after the rest of the squad was asleep.

It began with simply passing each other in the hallway, or exchanging a few words in the kitchen. Then you started helping with his paperwork on nights when he had too much. Eventually, you graduated to hanging out together outside of work. You would read books, chat about life, or just sit together in silence on nights when you didn't want to be alone. Despite all the obstacles, you and Captain Levi had become friends. Or at least, you thought you had. With Captain Levi, it was sometimes hard to tell.

Tonight was one of those nights when sleep eluded you, so you went down to the kitchen to make yourself some tea. You poured another cup for Captain Levi, since he was likely awake as well. After adding a few heaps of sugar to yours, you took both cups upstairs to his room.

Balancing the tray in one hand, you knocked quietly on the door. "Captain? It's (f/n)."

Nothing. You tried again, but he still didn't respond. You looked down and saw no light coming from under the doorway. Maybe he was actually asleep.

Deciding that you could just drink both cups yourself (after adding sugar to his, of course), you turned to go back to the kitchen. However, you stopped when you heard a small noise coming from his room.

You put your ear against the door. "Captain?" you whispered.

For a moment, there was only silence. Then you heard the noise again. You couldn't make out what it was, but for some reason, it had you worried. After a short internal debate, you decided to go in and check on your captain, despite the fact that entering uninvited would likely end in your death.

You cracked the door open and inched your way in. "Captain Levi?"

It took a moment for your eyes to adjust to the complete darkness of the room. When they did, you looked around until your gaze landed on the bed, where Captain Levi was curled up under the blankets.

Suddenly realizing that this was a very, very bad idea, you started to back out of the room. But you heard that noise again, and you could see now that it was coming from Captain Levi. It sounded like...but it couldn't be...

As silently as you could, you clicked the door shut behind you. You set the tea tray on a small table in the corner before making your way to his bedside. Hesitantly, you looked down at your captain.

He was crying.

A knot formed in your chest. Forgetting propriety and not caring about the consequences, you placed your hand on his arm, shaking him gently. "Levi!" you whispered. "Levi!"

Before you knew what was happening, Levi had bolted upright and grabbed your wrist. His grip was strong enough that you winced in pain. "Ouch!" you cried. "Captain, it's me!"

"(F/n)?" Levi immediately released your arm. His breathing was shallow and erratic, but he quickly got it under control. Then he leveled his gaze at you. "Why are you in my bedroom?" he growled.