[1] Honorary Pogue | Pilot I | Tease

"We're the Pogues, and our mission this summer is to have a good time, all the time."

I twirled a piece of dark, brown-black hair around my dainty finger while looking a group of boys up and down as I walked by, adding an extra sway to my hips as I passed them. I smirked, feeling accomplished as I heard their whispers and felt their stares on my back. Perhaps they'd remember the pretty girl they saw on main street. I glanced down at the small list I made myself for the store, then crumpled the piece of paper in my hands and tossed it in the next garbage bin.

I stepped into the small market, the only one around. The air conditioning hit like a truck, instantly cooling my hot, sticky body. I tucked the loose strand of hair behind my ear, flashing an innocent smile to the cashier. The older man's eyes lit up like a child on Christmas morning, gushing over all the presents Santa had left. Only in reality, I was the presents and the cashier was a creepy child.

I shuffled down the isles, searching for some chips and candies. Digging my hand into my back pocket, I fished for the two five dollar bills that had been in there. My heart sank as I came up empty. I looked between the junk food in my hands and the cashier giving flirty looks. I gulped, walking up to the cash, thinking of how I was going to get out of this one.

"Helllo.." I drawled as I approached the counter. The man eyed my body up and down, taking in my jean shorts and bikini top with an unbuttoned Hawaiian shirt keeping me modest enough for the busy parts of the island. To avoid his gaze, I looked down at my roughed up low top sneakers.

"Good morning, pretty lady," the cashier greeted. I kept looking anywheres else but at the mans face. Growing up, my mother always warned me of the downsides of having a pretty face. Of course I didn't believe her until I turned thirteen and hit puberty. Yes, I enjoy the attention of boys my age but I could live without the predatory looks from men old enough to be my dad.

Uncomfortably, I placed my items on the counter. "Getting ready for the big storm? She's hitting big!" He said, licking his chapped lips. I awkwardly looked at my chips and candies. Yes, because these are ideal storm food.

I chuckled halfheartedly, brushing a chunk of hair over my shoulder as I eyed the door. "I actually had no clue there was a storm coming."

My hazel eyes watched closely as he scanned each item, then placing the scanned item in a bag on the counter. Perfect. I continued to stay calm as he rang up the items, his fingers quickly tapping against his teller.

"It's coming in hot tomorrow night, sweets. Anyway, your total is 9.67."

I gulped as I pretended to search for change, digging into each pocket. I stopped and looked up at the man. After standing completely still for a moment while he watched me, I snatched the bag with lightening speed and broke into a sprint towards the door. The man was around the counter within seconds as I slammed into the dirty glass door, the bells ringing wildly as I stumbled into the street, gaining the attention of a few pedestrians. I let out a surprised squeal as I spotted a cop across the busy street.

I regained my footing and broke into another sprint, this one more powerful and meaningful, heading towards the woods where I knew that cops would assume I was going, as that road lead to the Cut. It's pitiful how the cops on this island assume all the trouble is stirred up by Pogues. I suppose their stereotyping works to my advantage, being a rogue Kook and all.

"She's a shoplifter! Get her!"

I pumped my legs faster, cutting through someone's backyard to get off the main street quicker. I heard sirens in the background, but ignored it as I continued forwards. I stopped abruptly, hiding on someone's porch as the cops whizzed by. Chuckling to myself, I turned the other way and began my walk towards where the city was building new houses. It was moments like this I wish I had taken my aunt's offer at owning a vehicle.