Gally [13]

A/N: just dropping in here to say, uh wow, all of you readers are the kindest most supportive people out there. Thank you for accepting my stories as they are and just being so freaking nice. I love you alllllll 

Minho was retuning to the Glade. His body was soiled with dirt and blood, all mixed with the relentless rain pouring down from overhead. A shattered heart, agitated mind and aching legs was what he was bringing back tonight, lacking any hope for a way out.

Minho was also returning without his running partner.

All of the Gladers were huddled around the maze doors this evening, awaiting the arrival of their most beloved friends. When they saw Minho limping his way down the corridor, screams of excitement and relief filled the air. The sound of joy was so overwhelming it temporarily thwarted the thunder roaring overhead. That was, until Gally's booming voice shattered everyones ears.

"Minho!" He hollered out to the boy nearing the maze entrance. "Where's Y/N?"

Everyone stopped. They hadn't even stopped to think about it. They had just assumed she'd be following right behind him, maybe just moving a little slower. Not a single person, aside from Gally, had let their minds slip to the possibility that she wasn't with him.

Breathing heavily and collapsing to his knees the moment he hit the grass of the Glade, Minho looked up to Gally who was pushing his way though the boys crowding around Minho. "She didn't make it."

"What are you talking about?" Gally snapped. "Where is she?"

"Like I said shuckface, she didn't make it. She's gone." Minho grunted as he forced himself to his feet. He began to walk away solemnly, tying to hold himself together.

Gally rushed up behind Minho and turned him around forcefully. The keeper of runners and builders were close in size, but in a moment such as this, Gally seemed to dwarf Minho. "What happened? Did you leave her?"

Minho struggled to talk without falling apart. "TELL ME!" Gally screamed in the face of the runner who was near to crumbling.

Newt tried to intervene, but he couldn't break between the boys.

"She fell." Minho forced the words out, just barely able to speak them. "Disappeared. I don't know what happened, but she's gone."

Gally stood completely perplexed, drowning in confusion and remorse. He wasn't sure what he was feeling, if he was feeling anything at all. It wasn't until he realized he was standing in the Glade, completely alone, the rain falling down around him that he'd been lost in his head for some time. It was then he decided to make his way to the homestead and try to get some sleep.

The next day passed in silence. Gally, and the world around him, was like mist. Nothing felt real or solid, he moved slowly and felt weak. It wasn't until the sun began to set and a group of boys following Alby toward the wall of names caught his eye.

Alby was obviously distraught as he fiddled with the knife in his hand as he walked. Gally caught him off guard.

"What's going on?" Gally asked.

"You know," Alby responded sadly. "It's time." He held out the knife to Gally, offering him the chance to cross her name off the wall.

"No," Gally snapped. "You can't do that."

Alby looked confused. What Gally didn't understand about someone disappearing in the maze meant, Alby wasn't sure. He truly was holding onto the fact she was alive. It was irrational and Alby, better than anyone knew, hoping someone was still alive only lead to more heartbreak.