Chapter 1

Black. Inky black darkness. That was the only thing she could recognize, the only thing that was there. The girl couldn't feel, couldn't hear, couldn't think, couldn't scream. She couldn't do anything and was left helpless, again. So she waited. She waited for her senses to come back to her. She waited for someone to come and help, even though she knew that no one would. She didn't know how long she was trapped in the darkness and she honestly didn't care. She was beginning to like the black abyss that held her as its prisoner. It was quiet here, peaceful, even. She could be left alone, she was safe from the outside. Of course, it all had been shattered, because the world refused to give her an easy path to take, an easy way out.

The girl was suddenly snapped back to reality as years worth of torture and pain, both physically and mentally, washed down upon her. The black was fading, and it was no longer so black. The once peaceful space that sheltered her mind from the blinding light was disappearing. The black was transitioning from its colorless state and with each passing second took on a different shade, each lighter than the last. Finally, It turned white.

The first thing she noticed was that she could feel again. She didn't know if she should be grateful to have another one of her senses returned to her or not. Yes, she could feel, but she didn't like what she was feeling. Every bone in her body was aching. As if someone cut them all in half and then hastily shoved them back together, not bothering to fix it correctly. Not only that, but her head was throbbing. The pain hurt so much that she couldn't even think, much less move. She could feel dried blood on her left arm and right knee. Her muscles felt strained and weak.

The pain was slowly subduing but it was still there, and it hurt so much. Just when she thought she would be able to get up or open her eyes, she heard ringing. Both her ears were currently unable to detect any sounds other than that infernal ringing. Everything was muffled, and her head was still pounding. Even more so after the ringing began. Then, she smelled something. The fragrance was comforting. It was of hot bread fresh out of the oven, and warm cookies with gooey chocolate chips which would melt in your mouth. It smelled like home.

Marinette Dupain-Cheng slowly opened her eyes. They were still heavy, courtesy of the fact that she's had little to no sleep. For almost two years. After throwing something at her alarm clock to hopefully kill it, Marinette gently sat up and climbed down the ladder. It was days like these that she despised having a loft bed. After climbing down, Marinette nimbly landed on her lavender carpet. She looked around her room, which was once filled with pink-colored everything. She reminisced of the times before everything fell apart. She took another look around her newly decorated room. It was so different compared to what it used to be.

Her walls that were once light pink were now a sky blue, and her once blush pink furniture was different hues of black, blue, and grey. Her comforter was now cerulean with beautiful black swirls. Everything was different, but, she supposed that was better than to live in the past which cannot be retained.

Out from Marinettes's pillow flew the red Kwami of creation and luck. Tikki hovered in front of Marinette and gave her a soft smile. "Good morning Marinette!" Tikki's cheerful voice squeaked. "Mornin' Tikki. Another day, another chance to finally put an end to the madness that is Paris." Although the bluenette had been searching endlessly ever since Master Fu had left, she still wasn't any closer to find Hawkmoth and Mayura. But today Marinette had a feeling something big was going to go down. Call it guardian instincts. 

Marinette stretched to try and get the stiffness out of her muscles. They still ached from the previous Amok and Akuma last night. That and her whole body still hurt from the beating her former friends gave her. Marinette shook her head, determined to forget her past pain, and got dressed. She dashed downstairs and grabbed a chocolate glazed éclair with vanilla custard filling. She finished her breakfast pecked her Maman and Papa on the cheek and waved good-bye. "Good-bye Marinette. Oh, and don't forget Manon's coming over later today. Nadja needs you to babysit." Marinette nods, "Okay Maman, see you at lunch." and with that, she started heading to school. 

The fall wind was cold, and Marinette found herself huddling into her grey hoodie even more. Lately, she'd been wearing a lot of duller hues. Black was now her favorite color. Before, wearing so many dark shades in Paris you would've stood out. Now, you'd fit right in. Paris had once been a city with bright colors, with friendly people, and swelling with love. You could see the difference of now versus two or three years ago. The Seine use to be filled with smiling people looking over the railing at the famous river. The Eifel Tower use to shine brilliantly and light up the Paris night. Marinette's beloved city use to be cheerful, not dark, and sullen as it is currently. Ladybug used to have another person she could rely on, rather than to be alone.

Everything that previously made Paris the city of love was seemingly gone. The whole place was like a knock off Gotham with better weather, and fewer vigilantes and gargoyles. She didn't like it, at all. Marinette held nothing against Gotham, but she missed her home, and she missed the time before all of this madness. Ever since a certain Italian came back from her "travels around the world", she did what she said she'd do. Lila Rossi took all of Marinette's friends. But she didn't stop there.

Marinette knew that Lila was going to try and break her. She knew, and she was fully prepared. What she hadn't accounted for, was that Lila would be smart. You couldn't blame Marinette for thinking Lila was thick-skulled. She claimed to sprain her wrist, and when Marinette threw a napkin at her and she caught it without wincing, it was because "It would have hit Max's eye." It was a napkin, and the dude wears glasses! What kind of lie was that! Unfortunately, Marinette forgot the first rule of war. Never underestimate your opponent.

Things had been getting worse and worse. Lila's lies were getting more and more believable, and to make matters worse, she never got caught. The fact that none of her lies were exposed just makes it harder to expose them. Who'd believe a stranger, or the supposed "jealous madwomen" that Lila had been lying when their dear friend had been nothing but kind and told them nothing but the truth? Right?

The whole, I have a lying disease routine. The vermin slinked her way out of it. 'Oh, it's much better now. I've been going to therapy and they're helping me control it. I don't lie anymore.' Yeah, that's not true. It infuriated Marinette that Lila was an astounding liar. Her stories didn't have any holes that Marinette could use to tear them apart. That liar had more and more evidence, less and less blank spaces, and ample power.

Lila Rossi wasn't the queen. The queen would be who everyone targets to take over the throne. The queen would be the one doing all the work. The queen would be known as the superior, the one on top, the one who's untouchable and protected. Lila wasn't any of those things. Lila was no queen, she was more of the puppet-master. She stayed behind the scene and secretly controlled all her puppets. At this point, her puppets consisted of most of Paris. She was in control, but almost no one knew that she was. She didn't do the work, but she took the credit. Lila was the one on top, and untouchable, but no one perceived that. Lila was in control.

Marinette use to have friends, now, she only had people who she knew didn't hate her. They weren't friends, or enemies. They were more, allies, supporters if you will. Ladybug use to have a partner, but something happened. Something that her mind didn't want to remember. She once had a master, but he almost died, and no longer remembered her. She was in love, and now she realized how stupid it was to love him.

Oh, how so very extremely stupid it all was indeed.

And with that thought, she climbed the steps that lead to her everyday torture chamber and crossed the threshold into Collège Françoise Dupont.