Chapter 57

Cameron Santiago POV

Today training was the same as any other training with the exception of Ashlyn. She did not perform the way she can and everyone could see that. As the day went on the more I noticed she wasn't herself. I decided to go and check on her before dinner.

I knocked on her hotel room door and Ali opened the door.

"Hi, is Ashlyn here?" I ask her.

"She's on the balcony." She points behind her and I make my way over.

"What's up with her today?" I try to get information before I talk to Ashlyn.

"It's the anniversary of Taylor's death. It's hitting her harder than the past years." How could I forget today's date, I think to myself. Of course, today's the day she blames on herself. I walk to the balcony and hug her from behind.

"It's you." She says as she turns to find out who it is.

"It's me." I confirm and take a seat next to her. "How are you holding up today?"

"You remember?" She questions.

"Ali reminded me of the significance of today's date." I say truthfully.

"It's just hitting a little harder and I don't know why." She exhales.

"That's okay, sometimes we just miss people extra some days. We both know it doesn't get easier but we deal with it." I share my knowledge.

"Here I am living my best life and she's not here."

"You shouldn't feel guilty." I put my hand on her arm. "She would want you to be living your best life. She wouldn't want you to hold back because of her."

"I just want to be alone for a little." I nod to her statement understanding why. "Do you mind taking Ali with you? She has been taking care of me and my emotions all day."

"I'll try my best to convince her." We both chuckle knowing Ali. "Just let me know if you need anything."

"Thanks, Cameron." She says and I head inside.

I manage to convince Ali to give Ashlyn some privacy. We decided to go hang with Pinoe, Kelley, and Alex. Nobody questioned where Ashlyn was to our surprise.We ended up somewhere where they serve salads. Apparently Kelley and Alex love this place and decided to introduce us to it.

"Here you go." Kelley said as she handed me my salad she selected. We sat a few seats away from the others.

"Thank you." I smile and start getting ready to eat. I look down and mix the salad when something catches my eye. I chuckle and ask Kelley, "Are you trying to kill me O'Hara?"

"Wha-" She says with her mouth full of leafy greens.

"There's walnuts in here." I explain.

She grabs the bowl as if to check if I was lying. "I told them no nuts!" She gets up and heads to the counter. A few minutes she comes back with a new bowl.

"You didn't have to do that. I could've gone up." I grab the bowl searching to make sure I can eat it without dying.

"That's not right. What if you didn't notice? I gave them a few words to make sure it doesn't happen to anyone else." Kels looks frustrated.

"Isn't that thoughtful of you." I wink to her before I realize what I'm doing.

"Hey now don't go winking. We are friends, remember?" Kelley smirks using my words against me.

"I want to talk to you about that." She looks up at me like a child wanting to hear more of a story. "I think if we are both comfortable, we can take the next step. It's been weeks and I think it's time."

"Cammy, I told you I'm in no rush. I will wait for you. But if you think you are ready, I trust you."

"Listen, I have never been with another girl before, so I don't want you to think I'm experimenting with you." I let out my first insecurity. "I also want to take things slowly."

"We'll take things very slow." She takes her hand and places it on my thigh to bring me some comfort. Butterflies rush all over my stomach.

"I trust you." I see her eyes light up to my words.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Short chapter but figured it was better than nothing ; )