Akari's Ending: I'm Your Monster And Yours Alone

The forest was a serene place, albeit one filled with shadows and unknown animals prancing about. Occasionally, Akari would jump at the little crumpling of leaves or snapping of branches that the animals would make. Afterward, he would always listen for a while longer before letting out a sigh of relief and placing his hand over his rapidly beating heart. They were in dead man's land and he wasn't so sure they would return unharmed. That being said, he was filled with a need and a desire to protect (Y/n) with his life.

The girl didn't seem to be worried, having complete faith in the male's protection. He didn't know why, but it made him blush and feel warm inside. He gave a soft smile as he hummed to the sound of his own heartbeat, now beating for different reasons. The girl gave a small giggle at his behavior, but he only enjoyed the sound of her voice to the best of his ability, finding it too good to be true.

"I hate to admit it, but it's nice being here with you like this," Akari said quietly, hoping he didn't offend the girl or make her upset, "I...I like protecting you. It gives me pride."

"Thank you," (Y/n) chuckled, tilting her head, "for doing all of this for me."

"You've said that about a million times now," the blonde blushed, rubbing the back of his neck in nervousness, "You don't need to give gratitude to something like me."

The girl paused, not understanding how he was referring to himself as if he was something disgusting, but he only viewed it as normal. She walked a little closer to him to observe his forlorn expression, giving a little frown at it. He only allowed her to do as he pleased, but her proximity made him feel...interesting. It was both good and bad, and he didn't necessarily trust himself not to do something terrible to her.

"Why do you talk like you're a monster?" (Y/n) asked, tugging on the boy's shirt to get his attention.

"Because I am," Akari responded in a matter-of-fact kind of way, his eyes watching out for anything and everything that could possibly attack, "Don't you forget I'm a murderer. I've killed countless people and I've threatened countless more. You should keep a distance from me. I should be watching over you from afar, not conversing with you like I'm worthy enough. And touching you...it's way out of the question."

The girl frowned further and began to walk closer to the boy, not believing what he said. Sure, he'd done terribly horrible deeds, but he had also done good in the world. She didn't think he deserved to think of himself as the scum of the Earth. Besides, his saying that talking to her or touching her was beyond his reach, but it didn't seem like he wanted to believe that. In a moment of instinct, she threw her arms around the boy, both of them stopping in their tracks.

"You say that," (Y/n) said, putting her ear to his chest, "but I hear your heart beating fast when I do this and your cheeks get all red and warm. If I was there when you killed someone, and I told you to stop, would you have still killed them?"

"I don't know," the boy said, lost in his thoughts, his eyes becoming cloudy, "It depends on if he was going to hurt you or not."

The girl gave a little smile, knowing that he had only intended to help her, but became confused along the way without someone to guide him. She hugged him tighter, giving him a small kiss on the cheek, making him flinch although his body language suggested he appreciated the gesture. Then she began to walk forward again, the blonde following behind her, his hand placed on his heart as he tried to keep a grasp on the weird feelings he felt around her. Of course, he knew that it was love he felt, but he didn't think he had the right to feel such a thing. It was a luxury he wouldn't let himself have after everyone he'd killed.

"Tell me about the first time you killed someone," (Y/n) requested.

"I-It's not pretty!" Akari said, not wanting to share his slip into insanity, "I...not now, okay? Another time, maybe."