Chapter Twenty Three

Lienna

I got up early in the morning and dressed in a warm cloak. The palace tended to be quite cold in the mornings, especially since winter was near. I silently prayed that no one was awake; what I was about to do required no nosy royals or masculine gods interrupting.

My boots clicked on the glossy marble floors. Inwardly, I groaned. The fineries of the royals always had their drawbacks.

I slipped past guards and waved off the maids. It was surprisingly easy to get to where I was headed.

Of course, I was headed toward the dungeon. Before I could do anything, I had some questions that needed answers, and there was only one person who could answer them.

Once in the dungeon, he was easy to find. His arms were bloody, perhaps from the cuffs on his wrists being incredibly tight, and his hair was a mess. He had purple rings underneath his eyes and a plotting yet dejected look in his eyes.

"Ander," I addressed him, injecting confidence into my voice.

He glanced up at me, smirking, though it seemed to pain him. "Lienna, love."

I held my composure. "You're probably wondering why I came."

He grinned. "It's no secret, darling. You and I were once deeply in love. I still am."

I flinched. The sad truth was that I didn't actually love him, I never had. "I need answers."

"That's easy enough for me." He straightened his back with a pained groan. "They torture me. You're basically their treasure. The guards always talk about Lady Lienna, the beautiful fiancée of Loki. They'd do anything for you, and that means abuse, starving me and-"

"Enough, Ander!" I commanded. He was trying to get in my head, and he was doing well, but Ander couldn't win. "I want you to answer my questions."

He nodded, the sly grin still not leaving his face.

"Did you and Wisteria have a bit of a romance?"

He laughed. "No, no. I only love you. Old acquaintances, yes. Svendrel traded with her father before you even came to us."

I nodded. I could last through this. "Did she know about your... magic?"

"No one did. I was only recently aware of it." He leaned forward, a bitter expression dominating his face. "It started as soon as they Chose you. I could feel it rage in my veins. When I heard news of your courting, suddenly it heightened. I could direct it at anything, any one. I was raging. 'Loki has kissed the pretty girl!' Maria didn't know what hit her."

I gasped, wanting to vomit. He was a murderer.

"This make you uncomfortable, precious flower?" he questioned maliciously, standing. "Think about hearing the only girl you ever loved, still love, falling for another man when you were engaged. Hearing the prince was entwined with the girl you dedicted your life to. Think about hearing him hurt her, hearing that she lost a hand because of him." He stood only a foot away from me, the magical barrier being the only thing separating us. I could see how his hands trembled with power. I swallowed, feeling my bravery falter.

"Not once did you think about me!" he growled.

"If you love me, why can't you let me be happy?" I whispered.

"Because I can see you aren't," he replied, venom in his words. "You need me, Lienna. Not some trickster god who will leave you as soon as you no longer fit his tastes or a Frost Giant that will kill you. Not some god of Thunder who is all looks and can't care for you. You need me, the one who has been by your side. The one who loves you, who would never hurt you."

He slammed his fist against the barrier. "You. need. ME!"

I gaped at him, shocked and scared. I was running before I realized it, and crying before I could even think. I wanted to hide in my room and be free of everything. I couldn't handle the ring on my finger anymore.

I threw open the door to my room in hysterics. I shouldn't have gone. I threw myself on my bed, burying my face in the pillows.

"Lienna?" I heard Loki whisper. He must have been looking for me. His thoughtfulness should have soothed me, but all it did was make me sob.

I felt weak. I knew I couldn't handle facing Ander. Now I couldn't face Loki and tell him what I had done.

"Lienna, love."

I refused to meet his face. I was a complete mess, crying and hating myself for doing something so stupid.

"Look at me." I heard him step closer to me, but I didn't turn over to face him.

Suddenly, his strong arms wrapped around and flipped me over. I hid my face in the covers, but to no avail. I knew I was being childish, but I didn't want to look him in the eye and tell him what I had done.

He held me close to his chest, cooling my feverish panic. "Listen, Lienna. Whatever happened to you, I won't judge you for." He grew quiet. "I've done terrible things in my lifetime. Whatever you have done can never amount to what I've done. I promise you, you will be okay."

I was finally calm, but some of the bitter feelings remained. Loki held me tightly in his grip, his skin faintly blue to calm the fever that had been messing with my mind.

Loki stroked my hair gently, allowing me to slowly breathe out my stress and tension. He didn't enter my mind, or press me for details. He didn't speak, letting his rhythmic breathing slow my heart rate.

I breathed in his scent, a smell reminiscent of the tall, green pines you find deep in the forest, the silent guardians that had seen much but said little. The trees reminded me of Loki. He admitted he had seen and done much, but said very little, yet he knew how to speak eloquently and he did whatever it took to keep me safe.

Loki was gentle, yet his actions and posture always hinted that he could be very dangerous within moments. I had seen some of his violent actions, directed toward me.

I was left to wonder what he had done, but I brushed the thought out of my mind quickly.

Loki sensed my stirring. "Are you better now? Do you want me to leave?"

I shook my head. I wanted him to stay forever. I wanted him to always hold me. I never wanted to leave this moment.

××××××

-

-

-

-

-

-

okay whoops this is a long chapter but I got really into writing it and i like it so enjoy it! also, thanks for all the votes and support, it means so much to me. ♡

-katiethenovelist