chapter thirty-four

C A L E B 

"Why are you up so late again?" Dustin's voiced rasped through the phone.

"Take a wild guess," I huffed, leaning back against my chair. 

"Mateo and his music?"

"Mhm," I began. "I thought I would've gotten used to it by now, guess not." 

"Have you tried using the earbuds I lent you?"

"They didn't work," I confessed, looking down at the earbuds on my hand. "But I'm still thankful that you tried to help."

"Caleb," Dustin began. I could sense the hesitation in his voice as he proceeded. "How are things going with Mateo? Have you made any progress yet?"

"Ugh," I began, preparing myself to pour out my feelings to him. "I do have feelings for him.. but it feels like I'm rushing into it? I don't know if I have feelings for him because I want to forget Matthew or because I really do like him. It's driving me insane."

"Think about Matthew," Dustin suggested. "Don't question it, just think about him for a moment."

I complied and did so. 

"Okay, now think about Mateo."

I chewed onto my lower lip at the thought of Mateo. My heart picked up its pace like it always did whenever I was around him and butterflies swarmed my stomach - to the point where I felt like puking. 

"Did you feel anything when you thought about Matthew?"

"No," I admitted. "But I did feel.. something when I thought about Mateo."

"That's all the clarification you need that you are, indeed, in love with him."

"Isn't it too soon, though?" I questioned, still unsure of my decision.

"Your heart knows what it wants, so why are you questioning it?" Dustin snorted. "All you need to worry about right now is confessing."

"Right, I don't even know how to tell him," I sighed, frustrated.

"Don't worry, I've got your back," Dustin began, clearing his throat. "You could try sending him a love letter, but that's too cheesy. You could try sending him an e-mail but that would make you guys seem like business partners - or you could try the two lies one truth method."

"Two lies one truth? What's that?"

"It's basically a game where you state two lies and a truth, and the other player has to guess which one's the truth. So you could try something obvious like 'I have green hair, I have a pet penguin, I have feelings for you'. He'll fall head over heels in love with you, I guarantee it."

I choked on my spit, "Please tell me there's another way."

"What? Wow, I can't believe you're not considering that. I spent days thinking about it."

"Has it ever worked out for you before?"

"Yeah, but not very well," he snickered. "There is one last way. You could just be a boring, basic ass bitch and confess to him face-to-face. Just straight out go 'I like you, date me or die' - and that's that."

"Why did I even ask you?" I complained.

Dustin began to say something, but I was distracted by a knock on my door. 

"Dustin, hold on, someone's knocking," I informed him.

"It's probably Mateo, I'll hang up now," Dustin said, a teasing undertone to his voice. "Please don't tell me about how good the sex is with him."

I scoffed and hung up on him, placing my phone onto the desk before pulling back my chair and making my way over to the door. I rubbed my eyes, half-tired - and swung the door open. There stood Mateo in his shirtless glory, his hair a mess and his sweatpants hanging lowly on his waist. 

"What the-" I began in a panic, turning around and hiding my face behind my hands. "Go put on a shirt, you perv!"

"No," Mateo grumbled. I heard the sound of the door shut and turned around in confusion - but closed my eyes once again to make sure I wouldn't be subjected to the torture of having to see him shirtless. 

I heard the sound of footsteps making their way over to me and suddenly, a pair of strong arms secured themselves around my waist. 

"What are you d-" I began. My words quickly got caught in my throat when I opened my eyes and registered how close we were. I let out a shaky breath, "Mateo-"

"I can't sleep on my own bed," he complained in a low voice. "Let me sleep over at your place, please?"

"Are you drunk?" I questioned, attempting to push him away - but to no avail. 

"No," he began, nuzzling his face into my neck and letting out a satisfied hum. "I just like being around you. So what's it going to be?"

Oh, fucking hell.