Episode 74

Karaoke night had come and gone and everyone was still trying to process all that the night brought along with it but there was only one who had spent all night, all Sunday and most of the morning pacing because of it. Joe barely got any sleep the past two days and he had been walking around the outside perimeters of the school for nearly two hours before the first bell just trying to build up the courage to do what he needed to do and find the strength to finally let go. He finally spots her sitting at a picnic table after about his tenth circle of the school and walks up to her before taking a deep and pained breath. "I'm sorry about Saturday."

Taylor looks up at him from her notebook full of scribbles and gives him a small smile with similar eyes tired from a sleepless night. "It's fine."

"No, it's not fine." He sits down in front of her before looking over at her with saddened expression. "Taylor...I-"

She interrupts his stuttering and finally says what he's been struggle to comprehend for so long. "You love her."

"Taylor-"

She shakes her head and glances at the table. "Don't, it's okay." She forces a smile at him.

He shakes his head and glances down at the table before looking up at her with pained eyes. "No, it's not. I can't even believe how big of an ass I'm being. You don't deserve this."

"No, but I do deserve someone who loves me for who I am...not someone who's wishing I was someone else every time he looks at me." She looks down at the table just as Joe reaches out and takes her hands in his. He swallows the regret rising in his throat and looks down at the table feeling like a complete jack ass. She smiles and reaches out for his hands, quickly interrupting his thoughts. "Hey, I'm not trying to make you feel bad about this. The last thing I want you to do is stay with me out of pity. You have helped me through so much these past few months." She smiles honestly and leans closer to him before speaking softly. "I'm happy, Joe. I am honestly and truly happy with who I am; inside and out. You did that and I will be forever grateful but now it's time I helped you...by letting you go. Dani is the one for you, Joe. The world sees that and now...you do too."

A smile slowly appears on his face as he begins shaking his head in pure disbelief. "Taylor, you are a truly selfless person and the best girlfriend I have ever had." He smirks and squeezes her hands gently.

She laughs softly and shakes her head with a smirk. "I just have one last request...tell her!" She emphasizes the last two words and stares back at him with a sincere smile. "...before it's too late." 

He looks down at the table in sadness. "I'm pretty sure we're already past the point of "too late"."

~~~

Cody walks up behind Nick and slaps him on the back before speaking in his normal boisterous voice, filling the halls with his loud meaningless words. "Dude! What happened to you Saturday night?"

He glances over at Cody with irritation. "That was two days ago and you're just asking me about it now, man?"

He shrugs with a disinterested smirk. "I see you weren't hit over the head with a conoli and sold into the mob." He chuckles at his stupid joke and playfully punches Nick in the shoulder, causing Nick to punch him back with force. "OW!"

"Sold into the mob?" He rolls his eyes and slaps Cody over the head. "You're such an idiot." He shuts his locker and begins walking off down the hall, but unfortunately unable to leave Cody behind.

"So what did happen to you Saturday?" He follows beside Nick as they walk down the hall.

He glances over at Cody with a scowl. "None of your business."