Episode 75

Joe opens his locker and to grab some books but instead catches a glimpse of a picture of him and Dani from sophomore year. He closes his eyes for a moment and breaths deeply; slamming his locker closed making a loud boom echo throughout the hall.

"Careful, someone might think something's wrong."

He glances back at Scarlett with a frown before turning back and putting his head against his locker with a thump. She walks over and stands beside him, leaning her side against a locker and looking at him. "What's wrong?"

He keeps his head on his locker and begins speaking, not looking at her. "Taylor and I broke up, Dani hates me and I am a fucking idiot...it's just a wonderful day, Scar." He speaks sarcastically before slamming his head against his locker once more.

"Nothing real surprising about any of those updates." She chuckles softly. 

He takes his head off his locker and looks over at her with anger. "It's not funny."

"Joe, this whole situation is pathetic."

He rolls his eyes at Scarlett's statement and leans his head back, looking up at the ceiling. She shows him a comforting smile before speaking without the previous sarcasm. "You'll figure it out, Joe and when you do, Dani will understand."

He lifts his head and stares back at her with curious eyes. "You're friends with Taylor too. Why do you want me to choose Dani so bad?"

"...because...I already know how this story ends...I'm just trying to save time." She smiles softly and starts to walk down the hall but stops and turns to him once again. "Oh, and there's the whole drama that Nick's stirring up. You tell her how you feel and bye, bye Nick." She snickers softly before continuing her walk down the hall.

~~~

As soon as the last bell of the day rung I found my feet carrying to down the hall faster than I even knew was possible. I had to make things right and I couldn't keep stumbling over what I needed to say. A lot had happened in the past few weeks but my heart always knew what my brain had trouble deciphering; Demi was my choice not the second, not third, but my first...and only choice. Forever. I was stupid for making forever wait and I was an even bigger idiot for giving my forever any reason to have pain in her eyes.

~~~

"Dani!" He sees her walking down the front steps of the school and quickly rushes after her. She hears his voice but ignores him as she continues making her way down the steps. "Dani!" He shouts her name one last time before taking hold of her wrist and standing in front of her with confusion. "Why were you ignoring me? What's wrong?"

She throws her head back and groans. "Nothing, Nick. Everything is perfectly fine...I just really need to get home." She tries to turn around and continue walking but Nick steps in front of her, stopping her causing her to groan one more time in irritation. "Could you please just for one day not be a complete ass?"

"I'm not an ass."

She rolls her eyes, wondering why he is all of a sudden denying her rude label and crosses her arms over her chest. "What do you want?" She knows he's not the one she's angry with but he was the one that was standing in front of her at the moment.

"I just want to talk to you."

"Yeah...well, I don't really feel like talking."

"Then don't, I know it might be hard for you but just listen." She lets her arms down to hang by her sides and she stares at him, waiting to hear what he has to say. "Look, I don't know really understand what happened Saturday or what it meant-"