Chapter 16

Midday had arrived, it was time for the new group of chosen VK's to come to Auradon. Carlos, Mal, Evie, Jay and Ben had driven all the way to the Isle of the Lost in the big, purple limousine Ben had given Mal as a present for their engagement that had happened only a few hours ago. A big group of people had joined their arrival and were waiting to be able to wave them off. All talking enthusiastically. While Dizzy, Celia and the others were getting ready to leave, saying goodbye to their loved ones and gathering around and inside the car, Jay was standing away from it all. A worried look on his face as he kept looking around, scanning faces, alleyways and rooftops. 
     "Don't worry, she'll come." Carlos spoke up out of nowhere, squeezing the brunets shoulder. Apparently he had walked up from behind him. Jay looked over his shoulder at his friend, still twirling the silver ring between his fingers. 
     "I know she will." He answered, looking back at the nearest rooftop. Despite what he said, he wasn't sure. Carlos shot Jay a sympathetic smile before walking back to the car.
     Jay hoped Myra would show up, that she just got delayed or something. He had been worried when she hadn't shown up this morning to the announcement, but he and the others had convinced themselves that the girl just hadn't had the time to show up. That she had been dealing with her pirate crew. They had heard from Dizzy that Myra had taking over after her cousin, that she had changed things. She probably just had to arrange things before she could leave, make sure Harry wouldn't burn down the ship or something similar. But the option that Myra wouldn't show up this time as well made a feeling of dread come over him. Something inside of Jay itched to go look for her. To climb up the roofs to see if she was around, he would even deal with Harry Hook if he had to. 
     Evie and Mal were the next ones to walk up to their friend. "It's time." Evie spoke softly. She also wished her friend was with them, but it felt wrong to her to make the others wait. 
     "Just five more minutes." Jay responded. Evie and Mal exchanged a look, Evie was about to protest but Mal spoke up first.
     "Ten minutes. We owe her that much." 
     "Thank you." The son of Jafar mumbled. 

Unfortunately, Myra did not show up. Even though Jay wanted to go look for her he accepted the opportunity that it had been her own choice not to show up. "It's time." Mal said, placing her hand on Jay's arm. The boy nodded before taking his place behind the wheel of the limousine.
     Mal sighed, glancing over the same rooftops Jay had been. Ben wrapped his arms around her waist from behind, kissing her cheek. "Why didn't she come?" 
     "Responsibilities, maybe." Ben answered, recalling everything Dizzy had told them about Myra's attempts to keep the save houses save. 
     "Maybe..." Mal mumbled before turning around, wrapping her arms loosely around Ben as well. "But I should talk with Jay. I don't think he's taking it very well." 
     "He loved her, didn't he?" 
     The sad look in Mal's eyes was clear as she glanced down, "even before any of us knew what love ment." 
     Ben nodded, understanding Myra not showing up was hard on his fiance as well. "I'll talk with Jay, you just stick with Celia. Something tells me you're gonna be better with her then I." Mal considered Ben's words for a moment before she nodded. 

Jay glanced over when Ben stepped into the car beside him, not expecting to be joined by him. There was a short, awkward silence before Ben spoke up. 
     "Look, Jay. I know you must feel horrible, but Myra must have a good reason for not showing up. Remember what Dizzy told us? Besides who else is gonna keep Harry in check now Uma is who knows where?" Ben's attempt of a joke didn't go well. Jay's grip on the steering wheel tightened and he clenched his jaw thinking of Myra and Harry together. Only the King didn't notice. "What I'm trying to say is, I know she means a lot to you, but do not take this personally." 
     "I know!" Jay's little outburst silenced the conversations in the car. Knowing what they were talking about, Mal quickly diverted their attention with offering them more chocolate. Celia felt a wave of guilt come over her, she knew they were talking about Myra. The girl considered telling them about Hades, but decided pretending she didn't have a clue was the saver option. She didn't want to ruin her knew chance already.
     Ones everyone in the back was consumed into their own conversations again, Jay continued in a softer voice. "I know... It's just. She could have told one of us, or at least left a note. But not showing up at all... It feels like..." Jay trailed off, not knowing what to say. But Ben seemed to know. 
     "Like she stood you up."
     Jay glanced down while he started the car. "I wouldn't know what that feels like." 
     "You've never been stood up before? Like, never?" Ben asked astonished. 
     "Never asked someone out." A short silence fell between the two while Jay opened the barrier. When Ben thought about it, he actually never had seen Jay with a girl. Of course he knew Jay was a flirt, even the King wasn't that blind. For a while he thought Jay and Lonnie would become something, especially since they spent so much time together with the fencing team and all. But it never happened.  "How... does it feel?"
     Ben sighed, leaning back in the seat while Jay slowly drove through the now open barrier, paying no attention to the cheering people around them.
     "You'll feel disappointing since you've been looking forward to be spending time with them. Betrayed, since they didn't held up their part of the agreement to meet up and hurt because they apparently don't think your feelings are worth as much as canceling." 
     "Maybe I should just forget about her." Jay said eventually after another short silence. Ben's eyebrows shot up in surprise, that was not the response he had expected or had been going for. 
     "That's not-" But before Ben could finish his statement he got interrupted by screams from behind. 
     "It's Hades!" Evie yelled. "Stop the car. He's trying to escape." Immediately Jay smashed the breaks and jumped out of the car, just like Ben, Mal, Evie and Carlos. Hades was trying to break through the barrier and it seemed to be working. The old God had shoved his hands within the hole in the barrier, with what seemed to be all his strength Hades pushed the hole wider. Wide enough to get his head and shoulders in between. There was something in his right hand. A soft blue glow came from it. It was his magical Ember. 
     "I am a God!" He yelled, his hair flaming up. "I don't belong here!" Jay was the first to charge at him, followed by Ben and Carlos. Only to be shot down by a blast of blue fire from the stone in Hades's hand. Pain went through the three of them, feeling all their energy being drained from their bodies from the moment the fire hit them to the moment it moved on to the next person.
     After the first wave of shock had gone through her, Mal knew what to do. Her eyes glowed green as purple smoke engulfed her and she transformed. With one mighty stroke of her wings, Mal rose from the smoke and into the air, roaring loudly. 
     For a split second, Hades seemed to be looking up at Mal with adoration, but the moment she came for him, Hades used the fire on Mal. The dragon shot back, screeching in pain. The future queen of Auradon did her best stand her ground, but she was hurting by the fire blast. Hades charged for a second blast, hurting Mal even more. 
     "Come on, Mal, blast him!" Jay yelled, encouraging her to use her fire against him. But instead, the dragon roared with so much power it didn't take long for Hades to be blown back into the Isle. The barrier closed fully as the God of the Dead kept tumbling backwards. Jay crawled from the ground, quickly moving to help Ben; whom snatched his crown that had fallen off and placed it back on his head. At the same time, Evie helped up Carlos, asking him if he was okay; on which he responded with a few quick nods.
     A pained growl came from the sky as Mal did her best to not crash down. Once she was close enough to the ground, more purple smoke surrounded her as she turned back. As the smoke disappeared, Mal almost collapsed. Ben and Evie hurried to help her stay on her feet. In the mean time, Hades  had also got back on his feet and was staring at the purple girl with an unreadable expression. 
     "Are you okay?" Evie asked her friend, still holding on to her to keep her from falling.
     "No." Mal responded, still gasping to catch her breath. "He was draining all of my magic with the Ember and I felt all of my powers slipping away."
     "You're safe." Evie tried to comfort her friend. "He's back where he belongs." 
     With one last glare, Hades turned around and walked away. Everyone rushed to get out of his way. Jay knew his attention should have been with Mal, but his eyes had fallen on someone else. On the other side of the Barrier, on top of the tower in the middle of the square, stood Myra. Blond and green hair hanging loose around her face and shoulders, Lunch on the railing beside her. When his eyes met hers both of them held a pained expression. Looking into her sad eyes felt like something pulled on Jay's heart. 
    "We should go." Jay spoke up, breaking eye contact with Myra and making his way back into the car. 

🐾●°●🐭●°●🐾