Fifteen - Keefe

Keefe walked with Sophie through the pastures of Havenfield, past the gorgodon and the verminion.

He wanted so badly to take her hand, show her that he could touch her, that he'd learned to control his ability, but he couldn't. Not yet. He needed to make things right.

"I'm so sorry, Sophie," he said, trying to sound sincere as they strolled by Verdi's enclosure.

Sophie smiled a small smile. "It's not your fault, Keefe. And I hope you do know I meant every word of what I said back there."

Keefe smiled back. "I know you did. It's one of the many things I love about you: you always know the right thing to say."

She blushed, but her smile faded quickly. "I still can't believe you're a charger."

"I know. I can't either." He paused a second before saying, "I have a little surprise for you."

"Really?"

"Ah, don't sound so surprised, Foster."

She laughed, making the world seem brighter.

"While you were asleep," Keefe said, stopping in front of the hill to Calla's panakes tree, "I trained with Councilor Zarina."

Sophie gasped. "You did?"

"Yeah, she's pretty intense," Keefe said with a smirk.

"What happened?"

"She taught me how to control it." He held out his hand, his eyes questioning hers. "Do you trust me?"

"Yes." There was no hesitation in her voice, but her hand shook as she reached out to him. She let her fingers brush his skin before slipping her hand into his.

Nothing happened.

Tears filled Sophie's eyes. "You did it, Keefe! I knew you could!"

Keefe laced his fingers through hers, emotion in his own eyes spilling over.

"I have a surprise for you too," Sophie said, pulling him after her as she climbed up the hill. Panakes blossoms flew through the atmosphere.

Keefe plucked one from the air and tucked it behind Sophie's ear, securing her hair. "Oh, really?"

She elbowed him lightly. "Of course."

"Well, what is it?" Keefe asked as they neared the top of the hill.

Sophie laughed a sweet, tender laugh. "You'll see."

She led him to a section of grass full of blossoms, filling the air with a sweet scent. She picked up a pile of the flowers in her hands. "My surprise is panakes blossoms?" Keefe said with mock surprise, laughing.

"No, silly," she said, her eyes lighting up, "it's this."

Sophie threw the petals up into the air, letting them cascade down onto them, raining flowers. And then she did what Keefe had once thought she'd never do . . .

She pulled him close and cupped his cheeks in her hands, leaning into him as she passionately kissed him on the lips. Her hands slipped from his face, her fingers lacing together around the back of his neck. Her silky and moist lips stroked against his, soft and tender. Keefe's hands coasted to her jaw, his fingers tracing the gentle curves of her face as he kissed her back, the motion sending fireworks through his veins. Her hair licked his cheeks as a gentle breeze blew across the valley.

"I love you, Keefe Sencen," she murmured against his lips, and Keefe's heart melted as the petals continued to rain down.

In that precious moment, nothing in the world seemed wrong. The sun seemed a thousand shades brighter, the pain of the past faded into happiness, and warmth was flooding through every inch of his being. With Sophie, life would never be dull again.

And it didn't hurt that she was also an excellent kisser.