Chapter 43 - The Truck

You've been walking towards the expansion for about 30 minutes now. You soon come across a large fence. No walkers or guards... yet.

Javi: Clem, Y/N. You guys come with me to get the truck.

Clem nods.

Y/N: You got it.

Javi: Gabe and Kate, you guys hang back here. Be ready for anything.

Gabe: I see what's going on. You're punishing me 'cause I told everyone what you did, right? Fuck that. I'm going to get the truck.

Y/N: Oh, brother. Not this shit again.

Javi: You proved your fucking point already, Gabe. Now it's time to grow the fuck up and help.

Y/N: Exactly. Quit the damn bitching and moaning and just keep watch. If you come with and you end up getting Clem hurt. It will not be fucking pretty, I can promise you that.

Clem wraps her arms around your waist.

Clementine: You should probably listen to him, or don't. I kinda wanna see him beat your ass.

He scoffs.

Gabe: He's not going to do anything.

You laugh.

Y/N: Wanna bet on it?

He gives you a scared look.

Javi: Enough! We don't have time for this shit! Gabe, just fucking keep watch, okay? 

Gabe: Ugh! Fine!

Clementine kisses you on the cheek and smirks at Gabe.

Clementine: Thank you for looking out me, Y/N~

Javi: Let's just go the damn truck already.

He starts opening up the fence as Clementine removes her arms from your waist.

Clementine: Alright, alright. You can't lie, Javi. It's funny messing with him like that.

Y/N: It's funny to me.

You both start walking past the fence, away from Kate and Gabe.

Javi: I'll give it to ya, it is a little funny. Especially since he's being a shithead. But we're on a strict time limit here.

Y/N: Okay. Fair enough.

You all walked around for a bit before coming across a garage. Javi opens it up and you all are met with a big truck.

Y/N: It looks like that's our truck.

Javi goes for the driver side door.

Javi: What're the chances?

Clementine: I'd say 50/50.

Javi opens the door to your surprise.

Javi: Smart-ass.

Y/N: I gotta say, I'm very surprised that it's unlocked.

Kate and Gabe walk over to you three. As the lights come on in a nearby room. You all hid.

Kate: Shit. Early risers. Come on. We gotta hurry and finished before more people wake up.

Javi: Alright, Kate, you steer. The rest of us are gonna get behind the truck and push.

You four walked behind the truck and pushed outside.

Gabe: Turns out you needed me after all, huh?

You and Clem snicker.

Gabe: What's so funny?!

Y/N: Nothing just remembered a... joke from earlier.

Javi: Just push the truck.

You all pushed the truck far enough outside.

Kate: I think we're good. They shouldn't hear the being started up. Oh, and I couldn't find the key.

Javi: Looks like I gotta hotwire it.

Javi walks over to a toolbox and grabbed a pair of wire cutters. He begins hotwiring it and he ends up turning the headlights on, drawing walkers over to us.

Y/N: You might want to speed that up.

He successfully hotwires it and everyone hops in the truck. He drives for awhile and stops the truck.

Javi: The square is only a few blocks away. This is a good spot to wait.

Kate: Do we have enough gas?

Javi: I'm not gonna turn the engine off again.

Y/N: So... we just wait for Ava's signal?

Javi: Guess so.

Kate: So, nothing for us to do expect to sit and watch the sun rise.

Y/N: Well, the last time I remember sleeping was in Prescott, so I'm gonna get some rest before this big mission. Don't mind me.

Clementine: Yeah, same. We could use the rest.

Javi: Alright. We'll wake you both when Ava calls us.

Y/N: Sounds good.

You get in comfortable spot as Clementine leans her head on your shoulder, you wrap an arm around her and pull her close. Soon, you closed your eyes and you fall asleep. About a few minutes later, you feel someone shaking your shoulder.

Y/N: Ah, c'mon... I literally just feel asleep.

Javi: Ava called. She said that they're planning to hang David. Then her walkie cut out, she could be in trouble.

Y/N: Fuck... Alright.

You, Clem, and Gabe hopped out the truck.

Javi: Keep the walkie close by? We'll tell you as soon as we've got David out. Then you can come into the square and pick us up.

She doesn't respond.

Javi: Come on, Kate... You and I both know this is stupid. Just... stay out of sight.

You four then left the truck and began walking to the square.

Y/N: So... there was nothing else from Ava?

Javi: Nope. And it sounds like a crowd out there.

Clementine: If she got cut off then that can't be good. Wish we had an idea of what we're heading into.

Javi: I'm worried. Something must've gone wrong.

Gabe: We're not gonna know what went wrong until we actually DO this thing.

Y/N: There could be a whole goddamn army waiting for us when we "DO this thing". We should stay cautious.

Javi: You guys ready?

Gabe: As ready as I'll ever be.

Y/N: I think you know the answer, Javi.

Clementine nods at him.

Javi: Glad to hear it.

You four continued walking to the square.