Episode 79

Mia glances out Scarlett's front window and silently curses the rain now falling like rocks on the roof of the house. A loud crash of thunder and a bright flash of lightening take over the sky, causing her to jump back from the window. She pulls out her phone from her pocket and begins searching her contacts.

"Hello?"

"Hey, it's Mia. Where are you?"

"I'm heading to work. The weather is crazy though." Jake responds while sitting in his car parked outside his house.

"I know and I'm stuck at Scarlett's place. She went to some...thing...?"

"-soup kitchen?" Jake speaks up, filling in the blanks.

"Yeah! That. And I don't have a way of getting to work."

"I'll be there in five."

She smiles gratefully. "You rock. Thanks." She ends the call and stares out the window as the rain continues to pour.

~~~

Dani slowly makes her way downstairs still wearing her PJ's. Her father looks up from the TV and gives her a look of concern before immediately flipping off the noisy television in the corner of the room. "I don't like the looks of this."

"I'm fine, dad." She responds with a glum expression as she makes her way over to the couch.

"And according to my parenting books; 'fine' is just a code word for 'my whole world is crashing down on me'." He smirks and pats the cushion beside him on the couch.

She makes her way over to the couch, sitting down beside her dad and wrapping her arms around him. "Joe and I broke up."

Mr. Landon looks down at his daughter with confusion. "I wasn't aware there was anything to break off but...okay."

She sighs. "As friends...I think we broke up as friends."

"Aw, come on. You and Joe are inseparable. You two have fights but you always work through it somehow. Just give it some time Dimples. I'm sure things will work out."

"You know, I think I used to believe that."

He looks down at his daughter with a sympathetic look and wraps his arms around her tighter. "What about that other boy you've been seeing?"

"Nick."

"Yeah, Nick. You should invite him over for dinner tonight. It's about time I officially meet this boy as a 'boyfriend' and not as a strange kid you're tutoring."

She groans in agitation and pulls away from her father. "He's not my boyfriend, dad and please don't label him as that when you see him."

"So, you'll invite him over for dinner?" 

She sighs and stands up before reluctantly agreeing. "I guess." She turns to walk back upstairs.

"Uh, Danielle?"

She stops on the first step and turns around.

His expression suddenly turns very serious. "He doesn't...did you tell him?"

She swallows the sadness rising in her throat and shakes her head. "No, dad and I'm not going to...nobody needs to know."

"You know how I feel about that statement but we both agreed it's your life."

"You're right. It is my life-"

"-but you are my life and I just think that you need to consider the people you've brought into your life and this secret-"