XVIII. Robin

I took my time going back downstairs. The sounds of the others playing, though, cheered me up even more. I only hoped Sonic had obeyed my orders for him to get his head bandaged. Usually I was intimidating enough.

When I rounded the corner, Sonic was missing from the couch. As was Starfire. Raven was reading her book, and Cyborg and Beast Boy were playing the same fighting game Sonic had lost to a million times. "Hey, did Sonic come through here?"

Nobody heard me. I rolled my eyes. "Hey!" I shouted. 

"What?!" Cyborg shouted back, not pausing the game.

"Did Sonic come through here or not?" I repeated.

"I didn't see him." He shook his head just a bit.

I looked around the room again. Starfire wouldn't have left the tower. "Where did Starfire go?" I asked.

Cyborg just shrugged, which made me frown. Something was up.

I turned around and went through the halls, first to the medical bay. Maybe she was treating Sonic there. That made sense. Bandages, salves, and ointments were in there. My walk grew into a ran as I went down the hall. If something was wrong, I needed to hurry.

I opened the door to the med bay, and it was completely empty. Not a soul, ghost, or body stood in sight.

"Starfire?" I called. I started down the hall again. Sonic was missing, too. Honestly, I didn't like the idea of both of them being gone, but I just wanted to know Starfire was safe. Sonic could probably wait a little bit, seeing as he survived the wrath of Slade, like, three times.

The closest room was Starfire's. I continued to call her name as I jogged. It probably would have been wise to get the other Titans, but finding Starfire was taking over my mind. What if something had happened to her? What if Slade had come, and took her as a hostage? I began to panic and sweat.

Finally, Starfire's room... Empty as well.

Maybe Sonic's room would hold something. It was only a couple of doors down. Without knocking, I barged in.

Good thing, too. Because Blackfire didn't really care about the door, anyway. Or the wall she had completely taken out. I could only imagine where the slab of concrete had been thrown to.

"This is where I sleep!" Sonic yelled.

"Walls will be walls." Blackfire replied. "And jewels will be jewels - stolen. So give it to me."

"I don't have it!" Sonic frowned. "Wait - if walls will be walls, doesn't that mean they don't get taken down by maniacs?"

"It is good you are here, Robin." Starfire said. I had almost forgotten about finding Starfire. Almost. "She will not listen to us or reason."

"Liar!" Blackfire suddenly said. Her eyes darted towards me and Starfire, and she suddenly threw the bed at me and Starfire, then took off.

The railing banged my head, and took Starfire through the wall. She could handle it. It just would have been great if Blackfire would have listened to us.

Then I realized that Sonic was missing.

"Sonic!" I screamed.

"He won't be joining you for a while." Blackfire came out from what appeared to be nowhere. "Now, the jewel...?"

"Starfire!" I shouted, getting out my bo-staff, though I wasn't sure it would be very helpful. "I need you!"

Blackfire ran at me just as Starfire appeared. "Keep her occupied!" I yelled, but then I realized I had no clue where Sonic was. I had to stop and think for a second. She couldn't fly incredibly fast, so she wouldn't get far from the island. She had only fought Sonic once. What had Sonic told me about that battle...?

"Water!" I shouted, jumping off the side of the Titans Tower. I got out a hookshot and shot it at the edge of the broken side, keeping me from falling into the rocks below. I let go and landed on my feet, then jumped into the water.

It wasn't until then that I realized I could track him by his watch. It took a few seconds to load up, then... I wasn't too far away. A few more seconds of swimming, going up for air once, then diving down, further and further. 

Finally, I saw him. Bubbles were coming from his mouth and his eyes were almost shut - it was almost too obvious that I had to hurry. I was about to grab him when Blackfire had gotten hold of me.

The first thing I did was gasp our of surprise. Then, out of frustration from what she had done to my friend, I elbowed her hard in the face. If water wasn't so weird, the few seconds it had bought me would have been enough. But she grasped my ankle, turned me over, and punched me in the face. That made me lose air. She didn't realize I had two legs, though, because I kneed her in the gut. She let go, but as I reached for Sonic, I could only feel rock.

I kind of said, "What...?" as if forgetting that we were underwater. Blackfire had already gone up for air and come back down. She kneed me in the gut, the held my wrists down. I was utterly, utterly doomed.

Until Starfire saved the day.

She brutally kicked Blackfire in the face, then grabbed me and swam back up. I grabbed my bo-staff and threw it at Blackfire when she tried to get near, then switched to the world of oxygen.

I gasped for breath, coughing and panting the second we got above the surface. Starfire slung one of my arms over her back and used her other arm for swimming. "Thank you..." I said when I could.

"My sister must be taken care of." Starfire said. She sounded angry.

I didn't reply. Sisters needed to take care of their feuds themselves. Trust me.

I swam a couple of feet to the rocks surrounding the Titans Tower, still trying to catch my breath. Then I saw Sonic. "Is he okay?!" I asked.

"He just needs a minute..." Starfire said. She knelt on the ground next to the hedgehog, and I hurried to join her.

I should have been quicker. I should have involved the other Titans. Maybe then no one would have gotten waterlogged.

Finally he sat up and coughed, struggling for a clear breath. "Sorry for getting flown out of a window, guys." He smiled.

"Anytime." I chuckled.

"That is, anytime it is not because of my sister." Starfire added.

"Starfire..." Sonic was looking off in the distance at something.

"What?"

"Starfire!" He was pointing at her now. At Blackfire, that is. Blackfire was about to stab a short spear of... whatever her power was made of into her sister. My bo-staff was at the bottom of the sea, and I was out of birdarangs. I couldn't touch the spear. Blackfire would throw it before I could attack her. There was only one thing to do. There was only one thing I could do.

I ran in front of Starfire, letting the spear ram itself into my shoulder.