Chapter 12

««« Chapter 12»»»

~~~~~~~~~~

“Set the dining table properly. They will be here in four minutes.”

My mother had rudely bashed my train of thoughts. I could have sworn with my father's life that I'd seen a little snake slither its way to a nearby corner as I rushed my way to front foyer of our flat. Like a flash, and like I'd seen something abominable.

She threw a hard slap across my face. “Are you deaf?”

I pursed my lips and curled into the corner leading to the lobby. “Sorry ma,” I managed to say.

“Sorry for your foolish mother!” She screamed at me and proceeded to drag my hair. I could feel the little parts of my hair, shred and flutter onto my school shirt, after it had latched onto my neck skin.

There was a loud cry that followed; that unfamiliar sound brought our day after day play to a screech. Obviously, that voice hadn't belonged to me, Buchi was exceptional.

There was a brief silence that greeted the air. The sound came on again. My mother had left my hair and strode towards the kitchen sink, where the sound had led her to. You could hear any sound from there without having to move for the door.

“Buchi”, she motioned for him to come. “Come first, did somebody knock.” Buchi and I exchanged quick glances.

Buchi had been standing there. I doubted he had been there all along. It was heartbreaking to think he would let mother touch me and, and watch with ease, while I danced to her beatings. But I had thought wrong.

He never said anything to her in my defense. Like mother like son they were. I rubbed my neck and eyed him.

“Blood!! Somebody help!!!” was the next thing I heard, followed by a soft knock at our door.

My father stormed out from his office. “Who’s there. Dubem, get the door.” My mother leaned against the kitchen counter, her thin brows wrinkled. There were two men standing at the door, quite unfamiliar to me, and three perfect steps apart causing ours to total partition.

“How may we help you sir,” I studied the men for a second. Somewhat between the ages twenty to twenty-five.

The first guy stepped forward. “Is this the household Mr and Mrs Edwin? We've been sent by Mr Emelie Edwin on his behalf and that of his mistress.”

I had not the slightest clue what was going on. My mother shoved me aside with her shoulder to stand in front of me. “Help me oo, somebody pls help me!” I heard the cry again.

I walked to Buchi. “Can you hear that?”, I asked out of fear.

“What if it isn't our business Chidubem.” I couldn't help but notice the quick change in his demeanor.

“So you heard it too? You look worried, who are those men..?”

He turned to face me immediately. “I'm not sure what's going on, they seem to be unaware.. something's not right some-”

“Buchi!” My mother called out to him. “Buchi, nwàm o, bíkónú bíà.”  Buchi hopped off the counter mother had previously took off from and walked towards the exit door. I followed him.

That irritating, sheepish grin plastered across her wretched face seemed to have faded off when she saw me walk by.

“Dubem, go to the sitting room.” My mother gestured with her eyes. I blinked back the fresh tears that started to form in both of my eyes.

“Help me please!” I heard it again. I turned to look at Buchi, who apparently had been staring at me too. We seemed to be the only people worthy of this exact sound, jokes apart.

PLEASE READ •

Hello guys!! It's been over 8 months and I am aware some of you may have been expectant of an update!

*Pauses* EiGhT MoNtHs!! Holy crap wow!

It has been my absolute pleasure bringing this story to life. But I am uncertain as to how to proceed from this part of the story.

I know that it will take many weeks to re-evaluate. Ending this book is an option I am bringing to consideration, however, I have NOT drawn conclusions yet.

I have no idea how to put together this story, but I will gather all effort and .. uhm.. I'll roll it.. yes I'll roll it into a huge ball and.. I'll cast a magic book spell and transport the ball into this book so that.. uh.. all of my effort is into this book and clearly not wasted.. :)

LMAO!

Well.. until I can create a solution to this, I have to find other ways to keep you all entertained..! Suggestions please :)