the girl upstairs

・・・ ・・・
CHAPTER NINE : THE GIRL UPSTAIRS
・・・ ・・・

・・・ ✪ ・・・CHAPTER NINE : THE GIRL UPSTAIRS・・・ ✪ ・・・

nancy and jonathan trekked through the woods. darkness was upon them as the silver moon was shining through the trees and the yellow of their flashlights lit the path of leaves and twigs on the forest floor. night birds and crickets chirped in the distance, but their footsteps were far louder as the browned leaves crunched under their feet so easily.

the pair was silent as they occasionally shot glances at each other, wondering eyes searching more than the wood before them.

nancy halted in her tracks. she looked around them as jonathan was quiet to turn around and question the brunette girl, "what, are you tired?" the bat came off of his shoulder as he now just held it in his hand.

"shut up," nancy replied her eyes wide and her mouth slightly parted.

jonathan rolled his eyes, "what?"

nancy was quiet for a few moments before answering solomly, "i heard something." right after the girl had said that a whimpering noise came from a few yards away. they started walking towards the source as the whimpering grew louder and louder as they approached it. nancy and jon walked cautiously at first, but once they saw what was causing their heart rates to pick up they immediately started walking towards it. "oh, god."

a deer was laying on the forest floor as blood covered it's neck and it's stomach. it whined as nancy got on her knees and approached it, jonathan following in suit.

"it's been hit by a car," nancy whispered as her voice had a hint of pity for the injured animal. she turned to jonathan after petting it softly, "we can't just leave it." he stared at her blankly, not knowing what to do or how to respond. nancy picked up the revolver and clutched it in her hand as her eyes started to water at the thought of the dead animal.

jonathan quickly glanced at her and made up his mind, "i'll do it."

nancy furrowed her brows, "i though you said-"

"i'm not nine anymore," jonathan replied with no emotion in his words. he took the gun from nancy as they both stood up and looked at the poor deer. the tension was thick as jonathan finally cocked the gun as nancy closed her eye only to look back seconds later. it seemed as if minutes had passed as they stared at the deer, waiting for the inevitable outcome of death for the bloodied creature.

in one swift motion the deer was dragged backwards as both jonathan byers and nancy wheeler jumped back and gasped in shock. the movement was so abrupt and uncalled for as it came out of no where and the teen had no idea what had caused it.

"what was that?" nancy questioned, still trying to catch her breath. she scanned her flashlight beam over of leaves and broken branches that had red blood smeared over them in an unruly fashion. slowly the blood trail they were following thinned out as nancy once again turned to jonathan, "where'd it go?"