XIX

"This the third apartment we done been to, bae

"This the third apartment we done been to, bae. You'n like it?" Amere asked, leaning on the counter to yet another apartment building.

"It's just—it feels wrong," she pouted. "I need my space to feel like home, you know?" she sighed. She had been home less and less, just because Devin knew where she lived. She was either with Sincere or Joelle, of course or with her boyfriend.

"I feel you," he nodded. "How bout we take a break an' eat, then we could look some more. You got yo' man starvin' out this bitch," he groaned.

"Oh! I'm sorry," she giggled. "Why you ain't say nothing?"

"I was tryna be supportive an' shit," he chuckled. "When you leavin again?" he asked.

The NFL Draft was upon them already, and it was in Tampa, Florida that year. She was attending with Kamden and his mom, as well as his girlfriend Rani. He was absolutely going to be among the first ten picks, she knew that. Yanni made sure of that.

Kam was gonna be sent straight into contract signings and press afterward, and her job was to make sure he was ready. She made sure to change her resume and job title since she started working for Amere, she was now a grade A publicist as well as an agent.

"Tomorrow night," she said as they exited the building, letting the leasing office know they'd be back with a decision. "My flight is at 9, I'll be back Saturday by 6," she explained.

Amere watched with adoration in his eyes as they walked back to the car. Since it was off season she wasn't working as often, but she still dressed like she was and he loved it. Seeing her in working mode was already a turn on, and the way she presented herself while doing so was the icing on the cake.

"You look cute ta'day, phat," he complimented, making her look over her shoulder with a smile. He loved her confidence in everything, but he knew where she was struggling and complimenting her a million times was the least he could do, he felt.

"Thank you," she stopped walking and pressed a kiss to his cheek. "I try to dress up wherever I go, because what if I see Beyoncé or—oh gosh Blue Ivy, you know, gotta be prepared," she shrugged, making him laugh.

"You said—you mean her daughter?"

"Her manager? Yes. She is the reason the savage remix happened and you can't tell me differently,"

"You know you insane, right?" he chuckled.

"You always say that. I think I'm okay," she cheesed, as he opened the car door for her. "Thank you,"

"Aight, where to? Cheesecake?" he looked over hopefully.

"Sure, bubba," she giggled, making him smile subtly to himself. She started calling him that randomly, he couldn't even remember when. But it meant a lot for one because he knew she hated pet names, and for two, her voice was cute as she sounded cute calling him that.