Chapter 17

By the time the last name is done the Dauntless are getting impatient. They start talking quietly to each other and play little games with their hands while they wait. As soon as the ceremony is over, they start running out the doors towards the train tracks hovering over the city. We're gonna jump on to the train. They start climbing the metal ladder connected to the train platform, and I wonder if I really wanna do this. Am I capable of jumping on a train?
But I made this decision, I have to live with it. I start to move forward and climb the ladder up to the train platform. Everyone lines up across the side and waits for the train to come. I then see a bright light and hear the sound of a train running across the tracks. All the Dauntless ahead of me begin to jog and then bolt into a run. I hesitate for a second, and a boy my age yells, "Come on!", and I follow. We both start running and I eventually catch up to him. By now the train is moving alongside us, and the Dauntless ahead jump on to the small steps on the side to open the door. Eventually, nearly all the doors are open and everyone begins to push themselves on. A door is then right next to me, so I grab the handle as hard as I can and push myself in. The boy is still running outside so I hold out my arm and he grabs it. I pull him up as hard as I can and then notice a girl from Amity still running outside. If she doesn't get in now she'll be factionless. The boy and I both put our arms out and reach for her. She grabs my arm first and then the boy's and we pull her inside. By now we're all out of breath, and we sit against the walls of the train. The boy is wearing a white shirt, with a black blazer on top and black pants. Candor. We catch our breath for a few moments before the boy I helped on speaks.

"Once a stiff always a stiff," he says jokingly.

"Once a smart mouth always a smart mouth," I say smiling

"Hey, at least I tell it like it is." He smirks

"What exactly do you tell?" I ask

"Everything. For example, I'm not going to tell you you're pretty if you're not" He says

"Ok go ahead, tell me, I can take it," I say. 

"You haven't given me any reason too," He says looking at me 

"Hm, A flirt I see" I say 

He laughs, awkward that I called him out and then changes the topic.  

"Oh, I got to ask though. What's with the hair? I mean doesn't Abnegation pay no attention to their hair because it's promoting self vanity?" He asks

"Oh looks like Candor's educated in the faction system," I say smirking. " I did wear my hair like Abnegation before but I realized it's not my thing."

He smiles and nods at me and looks back down. Something about him seems kind for a Candor boy. He has brown eyes and brown hair and when he smiles he means it.

"I'm Jake by the way," he says extending his hand for me to shake.

"I'm-" I hesitate. Do I really wanna be known as Rosemary Eaton? The daughter who was abused? Tobias changed, why can't I? "I'm Rose," I smile "Nice to meet you"

He let's go, and I forget that there are other initiates around. 4 Candor, including jake, 3 Erudite, 3 Amity, 8 Dauntless born, and 1 Abnegation. Me.

"You guys have done yet?" A Candor boy says. "It's getting weird". I give him a look and then stay silent.

"Shut up Dean," Jake says, then wraps his arms around his knees.

"I didn't think Abnegations joined Dauntless anymore. I guess I'll just have to watch you fail Stiff" He smirks

"Maybe by then, you'll learn how to shut up when people aren't speaking to you," I tell him

"Oh looks like Abnegation is getting brave now. I'd shut up if I were you, wouldn't wanna make more enemies than you need to."

"Don't get cocky, " A boy says to Dean "You won't get very far with that. He's wearing all black and has blonde hair and blue eyes. Dauntless born.

At that Dean goes quiet. We wait a little while longer and then I hear shouts coming towards the front of the train. I get up and look out the train door.

"Oh my god" Is all I say.

"What?" Dean says

"They're jumping". I look out and see people starting to launch from the trains on to the rooftops. One girl nearly misses the roof, landing close to the edge.

"What?!" The Amity girl from earlier says, getting up. I recognize her now, from school. She sat next to me in Math, and I think we were partners one or two times. Normally she would have her long red hair down, but today its in a ponytail.

"Katherine, right?" I whisper to her

"Mhm. Rose?" She says back, matching my volume

I nod and smile at her and she says, "Together on 3?". I nod and we get ready to jump off.

"Are you guys crazy?!" Dean says

"You either jump or don't get in," I tell him "What else are we going to do?" 

He just looks away and backs up for Kathrine and me to jump. He thinks I'm bluffing.

"Ok ready?" Katherine says. I nod and she says, "1, 2. 3!". We both launch off the train and fly through the air. I feel my shirt slapping against my skin, and feel my hair fly back. I land on my back and it hurts more because of the bruises, so I roll over. A few seconds later, everyone else in our car jumps out, landing the same way we did, or worse.

Authors Note: Hi guys! Sorry, this chapter wasn't my best, but I really hope you like it! Keep reading to find out what's next, and will Rose see Tobias again? hmmm? Anyways make sure to vote, comment and share, and keep reading if you like the story so far! Bye! Love you guys!😁♥

-Violet