→ nine

Elijah and Rebekah had been put in charge of protecting Angel while Klaus went out to the village to search for Kol. All of the Mikaelson siblings didn't have a single doubt in their minds that Kol was out and about, killing innocent villagers to sustain his hunger.

"Okay, so he was slightly more violent than I thought he would be," Angel sighed, tired of the looks she was receiving from Elijah. Rebekah, on the other hand, seemed to be torn between being happy she would be reunited with her younger brother or worried for the young human's safety. "But dad made a promise to undagger him."

"Niklaus was simply trying to protect you," Elijah told the human who laid spread out on the sofa. "Even if it was from his own family."

Angel bit her tongue down as she leaned further into the sofa with her arms crossed over her chest like a pouting child. She hated when everyone treated her like a fragile doll. It was the reason she undaggered Kol and the reason she would continue to do reckless things behind their backs.

Angel raised an eyebrow when Elijah and Rebekah glanced up from what they were doing at the same time and tensed at something Angel couldn't hear because she was only human.

"What? Is dad finally back-" Angel didn't even have time to finish her sentence when Elijah rushed from the bookshelf in front of Angel as another vampire rushed into the room. Before anyone could comprehend anything, Elijah was pushed against the wall with a wooden stake protruding from his chest as he began to desiccate before their eyes. 

Kol, who was covered in the blood of all the villagers he killed, stood in front of the now desiccated vampire with an inhuman smirk that scared Angel, not that she would ever admit it to anyone. Rebekah rushed over and threw Kol away from Elijah, even though it was much too late to help him.

"Excited to see me, sister?" Kol was quick to hop back on his feet as he rushed at his sister again, slamming her against the wall beside Elijah.

"Kol, please," Rebakah gasped as his hands tightened around her neck, stopping her breathing altogether as she clawed at his hands.

Kol paused and his grip on Rebekah loosened as he felt the familiar tip of the silver dagger poking into his back, right behind his heart.

"Don't think that just because I undaggered you, I won't put the dagger back in you," Angel had never threatened anyone before but her voice never wavered as she kept the knife pointed at him.

The smirk disappeared from Kol's face, replaced with an angry scowl as he snapped Rebekah's neck without hesitation and turned towards the young girl. Angel was quicker, however, as she shoved the dagger in his chest before he could rush at her but immediately knew she had missed his heart by a mere few inches.

While Kol bent over in pain by the one thing that could kill him, Angel realized her only option would be to run now that Elijah and Rebekah were momentarily dead and unable to protect her. She made a run for the next room, hoping if she could just find a door and lock it she would be safe until Klaus returned. She was too late, however, as Kol quickly rushed to block her exit and angrily grabbed her shoulders to stop her from attempting another escape.

"Where did you get that dagger?" Kol questioned as his voice lowered dangerously as his grip on her shoulders tightened and she tried to hide the pain he was causing her.

"I gave it to her," Klaus responded instead as he sped into the room, throwing Kol off of Angel once again and into the bookcase across the room.

Kol stood up angrily, ready to fight his older brother once again but was stopped when Elijah slammed him back into the ground. The young vampire groaned from the pain as he sat up to find his two brothers standing over him, ready to fight Kol to stop him from doing anything else reckless.

"That's quite enough, brother," Elijah ordered as he held his hand out for Kol to take.

Kol ignored the gesture as he pushed himself off the ground by himself and turned to face his brothers with a scowl stretched across his face. His eyes darted to Angel, who stood in the corner of the room with her arms crossed over arms. She shifted uncomfortably as his eyes narrowed on her in disgust and hatred before Klaus stepped in front of him to block his view of Angel.

"You honestly trust this pathetic-" Kol spoke angrily as Angel scoffed and rolled her eyes at his words. "-human with one of the daggers? With the power to bring down us?"

"There's no one I trust more," Klaus smirked as Kol glowered at his brothers. "And if you touch a single hair on her I swear to all things holy that I'll dagger you for the rest of eternity."

A flash of betrayal crossed Kol, so fast that Angel thought she must have imagined it, before his face portrayed his anger and disbelief at his siblings.

"You're picking her over me? Your own brother?" Kol questioned, although he wasn't surprised. Klaus always had a habit of finding other people besides his family to choose and worry over instead.

"I'm protecting my family," Klaus retaliated "Now either you can agree not to harm her or I can stuff you back in your box for another century."

Kol appeared to be ready to fight again before realizing the hopelessness of his situation as he backed down.

"It's not like I have a choice, do I?" Kol scoffed as his eyes found Angel's once more and he took a threatening step towards her. "Don't worry, darling. I won't hurt you, at least not yet."

"Then she'll continue to keep the dagger," Klaus shoved Kol back from the girl as he glanced over at his other brother. "Elijah, why don't you bring Angel back out to the garden while Kol and I catch up?"

Angel scurried to leave the room with Elijah, shaken by what had happened, and unable to ignore the burning glare Kol continued to shoot her.