Chapter 36

Haley

"You can't." He said trying to come forward and I stepped back.

"I can and I will." I glared at him. "I'm not going to be your pawn in your game."

"How many times do I have to tell you. YOU ARE NOT A F*CKING PAWN." He shouted and I scoffed.

"Then tell me why the heck I'm here." I said.

"At first, we thought about the possibilities of you encountering that man again and I was worried about your safety."

"Worried about my safety." I laughed. "You should have told me, so I could have been cautious."

"Then you would have worried." He said.

"Of course, I will be worried." I said. "Now I'm more worried because I don't know when you will push me under the bus."

"I will never do that, especially to you."

"Right." I rolled my eyes at him. "I want to go home." I folded my arms.

"I can't let you go home.You are been followed...anything can happen to you."

"I don't need your permission. I can make my own decision. I'm not asking you, but rather I'm telling you." I said turning around to walk to the room. He pulled me back by my elbow and looked at me.

He was angry-I can sense it and see it. He clenched his jaw and his eyes was dark and stormy. I should be the one being this mad.

"What?" I snapped at him.

He took me by surprise and kissed me. I stood in shock for a moment and then just like that my body relaxed and I kissed him back. His kiss was gentle, yet harsh. He pulled me close to him and deepen the kiss. He tasted of mint and coffee. Hmm.. I thought to myself. He's a good kisser.

When reality dawn on me, I pushed him back harshly.

"We are in the middle of a talk." I snapped at him.

"I know." His eyes soften a bit. "This is the reason why I can't let you go. Not yet."

"We have known each other for a week." I said.

"I know." He said. "That's why I want you to stay, so we can get to know each other."

"No." I said shaking my head. "You missed the opportunity to get to know me. You should have told me."

"I know and I'm sorry about that." He said looking helpless for the first time since I met him.

"Were you ever going to tell me about it?" I asked.

"Eventually yes, that's why I keep telling you not to go anywhere by yourself."

"Great." I scowled at him. "Now I'm to be blamed? You could have explained to me WHY." I shouted the last word and I took a deep breath. "How long was I been followed?"

"For a while now.." he said. "Even when we went groceries together."

"And you knew from that time? Beautiful" I remarked sarcastically. "That means when you sent me to buy your lunch. You knew someone was going to follow me?"

"I sent you because we wanted to see if that person was following you or me." He said.

"And?" I asked.

"You were been followed. The moment you stepped out. You were followed all the way back."

"Look at that." I said folding my arms.

"I get it. I made a mistake and I'm sorry, I have Grant watching you for your safety since we arrived here."

"You are kidding?"

"I told you, I'm not going to let anything happen to you." He said taking my hands and I wanted to pull it back, but he held on it firmly. "I mean it when I say that."

"How can I trust you?" I said.

"I like you." He said quietly and I did the unexpected and laughed.

"You like me?" I said. "You f*cked someone yesterday and you are saying you like me?"

He give me a guilty look and I pulled my hands away. "It might be your way of making me stay. I'm not going to stay here." I said. "If someone's going to follow me. That's my business. I'm old enough to handle things."

"You can't go back because if you do.. they might hurt your family." He said and that was like a slap on my face.

He's right, if they can follow us from LA to New York. They can follow me back home and may do anything to get what they want. He watched me carefully as I debated what I should do.

I walked around the room in frustration. "Okay, let me think." I said. He stood there watching me carefully.

"We are going to Seattle knowing people are following us?" I said and he nodded his head.

"You said you wanted to go.. I didn't want to go because of that reason."

"You should tell me the reason, so I know why."

"I'm telling you now."

"How funny." I said.

"Let's eat. I'm hungry." He said quietly.

"You want to eat?" I said trying to keep calm. I don't think I can eat anything now knowing that he kept this many secrets from me.

We have known each other for a week and I trusted him like an idiot.

"You can go ahead and eat dinner. I'm going to bed."

"Haley.." he said.

"Don't Haley me now." I said. "I'm upset, okay? You hid these things from me."

"I didn't want you to worry."

"Archer." I started. "You can't always be the one taking all the worries and loads of the world. You need to share some, I may not be the one you share it with.. but you need to, for a better relationship and for your health." I whispered and sighed. "Leave me alone for sometime. I need to think this through."

He wanted to say something, but kept quiet.

"Have a good night." I said and turned to walk back to my room.

I sat on the bed and looked at the window. I looked at the sky and sighed.

"What will I do now?" I said out loud to myself.