Chapter 23

Emma woke up in the early morning light. She pulled on David's shirt, and went into the kitchen. She heated up a kettle on the hearth, getting it ready for morning tea. She felt so happy. She was now a young wife, married, a fresh start. David came in, shirtless, and kissed Emma on the cheek.
"Good morning, Mrs. Thatcher." He beamed, nuzzling the nape of her neck. "I don't have to be back at the farm for a few days. It's just going to be you and me."
Emma turned, giving David a wry smile. "I'll miss being at Nampara; helping Prudie in the kitchen, taking care of Jeremy and Clowerence."
David took Emma to the kitchen window. He pointed.
"That's why we're staying here."
In the distance, just over the crest of the hill, Emma could see Nampara. The home that held so much love was never far away.

It was almost a month later when Ross and Demelza came to see Emma. Ross finally decided to uphold his long held promise; Emma would see her little sister's grave.
They left for  Carnvale that very afternoon, and Emma was able to find little Mary's grave; it was right where Ross said, beside the grave of her grandmother. Feeling the need to go, Emma went to her family's house. Surprisingly, her neighbor, Mrs. Edwards, had kept it closed up, but made sure it was ready if the family ever came back. Emma took a few toys, a chest of clothes and blankets, and a cradle.
One beautiful Sunday morning, David woke up bedside his sleeping wife. He put his arm around her, and she awoke and snuggled up close to him. David began to move his hand down Emma's slim body.
If he hadn't felt it, he probably wouldn't have noticed until later; a slight swell in her stomach.
"Emma, love? Is there something you haven't told me yet?" He knew what this meant, an he couldn't keep the smile hidden.
"I've always been a little irregular, so I didn't think about it when I skipped about a month and a half ago."
"So you're.....we're.....?"
Emma turned towards David and he held her close.
"Yes, David. We're going to be a family.