Chapter 3... The Last Goodbyes

I wait, pacing back and forth in the room, waiting for the first person I have to say goodbye to. The door rips open, and my mother comes running at me. She wraps her arms around me. "Why did you volunteer? I can't lose you too!" she sobs. I hug her tighter. "I couldn't let Lily go. I know she would die if she had to go in there. I can fight. I have a better chance at winning that her," I tell her.

She nods. "I know you can fight. I know you can. You can win," mom whispers. I nod. "I will. I promise. Jasper will help you!" I yell as Peacekeepers drag her out.

My brother runs in, and throws his arms around me. "I really wish you didn't volunteer. But I understand why you did," he tells me. I smile at Lake. "I'll be back. I promise, I will be back," I smile at him. He nods, and Peacekeepers usher him out.

Lily comes in next. Tears are streaming down her face as she wraps her arms around me. "Why? Why did you volunteer? I could have handled myself! Why did you have to go?" she sobbed. I hug her tight. "I volunteered because I couldn't stand to know that you could be walking to your death, and I did nothing but watch," I stated simply. She hugged me a and cried until the Peacekeepers made her leave.

Then Jasper came. I can let my tough girl persona slip now. Tears start to form, and he hugs me tight. "It's okay, you're okay," he whispers. This just makes me cry harder. "Listen," he says, pulling away, "You can fight. You can win. You can hunt, you can scavenge. June, you can win this. I know it," he says. I nod. He hugs me again.

"Don't let them starve. Please, don't let them starve. Keep teaching Lake. Tell them I'm sorry. I'm so sorry," I whisper. Jasper looks at me firmly. "You sound like you're giving up. You are not giving up, do you hear me? You are winning this. Remember we're here for you. Always," he says as the Peacekeepers pull him out.

For the first time I feel truly alone.