18 | A Summer of Firsts Writing Contest

To many people, your first pride celebration is something to be excited about, and to some of us, we look back to our first pride with nostalgia.

The Challenge

YARomance, NARomanceTheWarriorGoddess, and LGBTQIAP+ brings you a contest filled with blossoming pride. To celebrate pride and the blooming of the summer, we want you to write a flashfic about summer and the many firsts it brings us. Is it a first date? A first best-friend? The first time your character realized ze wanted to save the world?

How will you blossom with pride this summer?

Rules & Guidelines

1. Entries must be in English.

2. You must have LGBTQIAP+ themes, characters, concepts, etc.

3. Your entry must be between less than 500 words.

4. Must be in adherence to the Wattpad Content Guidelines.

5. Your entry can be a standalone or part of a collection/anthology, however, only standalone works will be featured in our reading lists.

6. To participate, you must submit your entry to this form here.

7. At this time, we are not accepting mature works.

Prizes

1. RL feature on YARomance and NARomance

2. Stickers for winners

3. Shout-out on YARomance, NARomance, and LGBTQIAP+

4. Feature on LGBTQIAP+'s Love Wins anthology for contest winners

FAQ's

Can I write multiple chapters? A: For those writing standalones for this contest, yes, you can write multiple chapters in your entry but the word count for all chapters combined should be 500 words or less. For those who are writing their entry in an existing collection, no, you need to write it all in one chapter.

How many times can I enter? A: You may enter as many times as you like. However, only one of your entries can win.

When will you announce the winners? A: This contest ends on June 30th and we will use the first two weeks of July to judge all entries. Winners will be announced by July 20th.

Can I write a story that doesn't have LGBTQIAP+ themes? A: Yes, you can. However, as this is a contest created specifically to celebrate #PrideAtWattpad, only entries with LGBTQIAP+ themes, characters, or concepts will be accepted to be judged.

You are collaborating with two romance profiles, do I have to write about love and romance? A: Absolutely not! Love comes in many forms. You can write about your love of food, or writing, or reading, or for your cat. While sticking to the prompt, think about the different kinds of first loves - it does not necessarily have to be romantic.

Contest Disclaimer

Please note, this contest and its rules are the creation of a team of Ambassadors and is in no way affiliated with Wattpad or its staff. Judging of said contest is entirely run by its creators and is not the responsibility of Wattpad or its staff. We reserve the right to refuse entries to this contest, that we feel do not meet the required criteria, that are unsuitable, or potentially triggering.