Chapter 38

My skin crawls in fear and disgust as Lazarus holds me firmly in place, rendering me useless. All I can do is listen to the steady sound of his breathing against my ears and then the insidious tone in his voice as he speaks. 

"Don't worry little kitten. I'm not going to harm a single hair on your head. I just want to talk."

After a few seconds of struggling I finally give up and stare at the darkness before me. I'm barely able to see anything.

"First of all I know you saw Luna and Lucian talking. Poor thing, you must be so heartbroken. It really isn't your fault though. Lucian's been pining for her since we were kids. Which makes marrying her so much fun. I just love winning and I've always been good at it," He brags. "You must be wondering why I'm telling you any of this."

Even though it is a question I can't respond with his hand clasped over my mouth so he just chuckles and continues. 

"I promise there's a reason but I need to rewind the clock a bit for you to understand. You see even though he is younger, Lucian has always been the brainy, reasonable, compassionate one. Everybody loved him. Thought he would be the perfect leader. Even my parents." Lazarus spits out the last few words with so much venom it shocks me. "I was always the rash, hot blooded one but who would have thought perfect little Lucian would start dozing off during briefings, became moody and unapproachable, not to mention lost the love of his life to me and remained a lovesick loser ever since."

"It was so perfect I could not have dreamed for a better outcome. Suddenly the tables had turned and people started to look at me as the potential first in command. It was what I'd been waiting for and when I had garnered enough support I got rid of everything in my way. Everyone who still supported Lucian was eventually met with unfortunate circumstances." Lazarus moves and the light from the slit under the door catches his face. I see his eyes gleaming. 

"Even my parents and Lucian's father."

I gasp under his palm and my body shakes slightly making him smile. How? I never paid much attention to the generals but now that I think about it I've only seen three watching me fight so far.

"It was a difficult task, trust me but I somehow managed to kill three birds with one mission.  I've even tried to get rid of Lucian but he's managed to slip through my fingers several times and then of course there's Luna, the lovelorn annoyance that she is. After a while I stopped bothering because he became mediocre and perfect as second in command. After a year or two I will send him on a mission and get him killed just like his father."

I stay still like a statue feeling nauseated after everything he just confessed. I knew he was terrible but killing his own parents for power made bile rise up my throat. 

Suddenly Lazarus's breathing quickens and his grip around my waist tightens considerably. The pressure is unbearable I feel like my ribs are about to break under the pressure. 

"Everything was going smoothly until you appeared," Lazarus seethes with anger. "Now Lucian is back to being cheerful, attentive,  and a smart-mouth and of course everyone's noticed. Even my shallow, fickle Luna can't stop praising him. And you, Aria the Bone Breaker. Who would have thought you'd become a star in the pits?"

Tears sting my eyes, the pain in my ribs now overwhelming. And then just like that he releases his hold around me and I would have fallen to the floor if his hand wasn't still covering my mouth.

"There was something happening to him. He hid it very well but I know he has a problem. Is it a drug addiction? An illness? You must know about it since he's changed after you became his lover. Tell me now and I will spare your life even if Lucian is killed. I'll even promote you to my squad."