Chapter Thirteen

"So... what do we do now?" Rose asked, cursing her fair skin for becoming red so easily.

Romi cleared his throat before beginning. "I think we have to go back to the castle to see what is happening, and find out who was trying to attack you. You will be much safer at the castle."

"Yes I agree. I do not want to bring any harm to your family. Should we leave now?" Rose asked, in a hurry to get home before she offended his mother even more.

"I think that is probably best. Once they realise you are missing there will be a lot of panic, so it is important we get you back soon. We will take the main roads, which are lit, and a sword for protection so you do not need to worry... I will protect you. I promise." Romi vowed.

"Thank you Romi... I know you will, which is what scares me. I cannot lose you." Rose sighed, her throat and chest tightening painfully at the thought.

"You do not need to worry Rose, we shall be fine." Romi assured her, although they both knew the situation was unpredictable, and anything could happen beyond their boundaries of control. "I am going to get the horse ready. Stay here and keep warm, I will be right back." Romi instructed, but Rose wanted to help.

"Oh no, I will come and help." Rose insisted as she reached out to grab his muscled arm.

Romi nodded in response, and both knew that it was probably for the best, as it would save another run in with his mother. They made their way outside side-by-side, and Rose shivered as she no longer had the warmth from her shawl, and the cool air crawled over her skin raising goose bumps.

Lila was dozing in her stable and neighed grumpily as she was awoken. Rose helped to tack her up, as Romi had taught her how to do it a week ago at her request. Rose then waited for him to inform his family he was taking her back to the castle, and fed Lila some carrots. Romi thoughtfully brought her one of his cloaks out to keep her warm, even though she had not asked for one, which warmed her heart. He was so sweet and always in tune to her needs.

As they started their journey back to the castle she sat behind him, and held him close as she snuggled into his warm cloak. She dozed on his shoulder as the light clomping of Lila's feet was rhythmic and lulling her off to sleep.

The creatures of the night chirped, howled and rustled, but Rose felt safe with Romi. Flickering orange candles lit the road every couple of yards, although a mist had fallen upon the land and the moon was blanketed by grey clouds. It was around ten minutes into their journey when Lila neighed uneasily and Romi tensed in front of Rose. Her eyes snapped open and she whipped her head around uneasily.

"What is it?" Rose whispered urgently.

"I am not sure..." Romi replied but unsheathed his sword attached to his belt.

Cold dread filled Rose as Lila came to a halt. There was an ominous feeling in the air, and her heartbeat skyrocketed as she heard a twig snap and owl hoot just across from them.

"Hello? Who is there?" Romi called out as he pointed his sword in different directions around them.

Rose remained frozen as they waited on baited breaths. Suddenly a gruff murmur echoed to the left of them, spurring Romi into action. Not wanting to stay around long enough to meet whoever was hovering outside on a dark, cold night, Romi urged Lila forward.

However, they were not able to walk five paces before Lila reared up, causing Rose to release an ear-shattering scream, but she managed to stay on by clinging onto Romi. Ahead of them, there were five masked people on horses, blocking the path and looking like riders of death.

"Hand over the Princess!" Someone demanded causing Rose to tremble. This was it. They had found them.

"Never!" Romi shouted, and yanked on the reins to pull the horse around, but they were quickly surrounded by men who sneaked up behind them.