36

A Few Days Later

Amari

"Are you sure you don't want me to come with you?" Justin asked.

"I'm positive." I nodded zipping up my suitcase. "It's just a quick business trip and I should be back soon. Besides, you have to make sure Julia gets back home."

"You're right, I do." He sighed. "If we leave her here alone, she won't get in the cab. We made her too comfortable."

I laughed at him and he grabbed my bags carrying them downstairs. He packed my car for me before kissing me.

"Be safe and call me when you land." Justin said opening the door for me.

"Yes sir." I pecked his lips and got into the car.

He watched me drive off until I was out of sight.

Hours Later in Pennsylvania

Tyler

"You can't fucking drive!" Amari screamed as I swerved around a car.

"Excuse me. I definitely can drive." I said. "They just drive slow."

"Please don't kill us." She sighed. "The passenger never survives the crashes."

"Only in movie." I said stopping at a red light. "What's the place called again?"

"Uh..." Amari pulled her phone out and went through her messages. "Baker's Dozen."

When Drew called Amari, we learned that she had did her own investigation using the same guy I had used.

Only, she found out way more than I had.

She found out that Janice had been raising Kyler all these years.

Our son, Kyler.

"That's so weird to think about..." I laughed to myself.

"What?" Amari asked opening her chips.

"We have a son who's 5!" I said.

"4." Amari corrected me. "And I guess."

"We would've never come looking for him if it weren't for Danielle." I shook my head.

"And her bad attempt at blackmail." Amari scoffed. "I honestly think I'm gonna get a restraining order against her."

"You and me both." I mumbled. "What do we do once we see her?"

"We talk to her." Amari said. "We try to understand why she secretly went and adopted our son after I told her not to."

"Do you think she'll let us see him?" I cleared my throat. "You know, say hi or something."

"I don't know." Amari looked over at me. "Tyler... You can't ask her to give him back to you. She's all he knows and, to her, that's her child now."

"But biologically..." I trailed off.

"Biologically nothing." Amari shook her head. "You can't do that."