Returnee

RECAP: He sucked in a ragged breath, hatred burning in his eyes as he stared down the bastard. His fingers brushed against a shard of glass, and his back pressed against the cool concrete wall. He thought about Damian and the others back home, about Jay-who was losing it over there, about Sevanna, who faced the same horrible fate.

At least he'll get to see her again.

Nightwing shuddered as he heard the click of the gun, and he shut his eyes.

At least I'll get to see you again.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

**********************************************************

Jason screamed.In anger, in fury, but mostly in desperation.

His brother was going to die.

First his baby sister, now Dick. And he had given up, slumped against the concrete wall, eyes closed as he accepted his fate.  

"NO!" Red Hood shouted as the click of Baldie's gun echoed through his body, and he shoved another man away from his path.

He wasn't gonna get there in time. 

Jason gritted his teeth, trying not to suffocate under the wave of pain, anger and regret that suddenly slammed into him like a tsunami. He fired his own gun several times into another idiot that tried to stab him in the chest, eyes focused solely on his older brother and the man that pressed the gun harder into Nightwing's neck.

Time seemed to slow down as Baldie pulled the trigger, the bang resonating through Jason's ears.

Jason screamed, the world spinning at his feet as his vision went red. 

He couldn't look. He couldn't look.

You weren't supposed to leave me too.

He didn't want to see Dick's lifeless body against the concrete, lying in his own blood, so Jason looked away. Anywhere but there. He felt that terrible rabid animal claw at his insides again, and Jason gasped, crumpling to his knees, loss rippling through him. 

He barely heard anything, felt anything. Everything around him, all the shouts and screams and gunshots, faded into nothing, and all that Jason could see was Dick's stupid face, swimming through his vision. Tears trailed down his cheeks as he choked back a sob.

You weren't supposed to leave me too.

Jason felt someone strong drag him away from the chaos, lifting him up.

 From afar, he heard someone call his name, over and over, until a sharp smack to the helmet snapped him out of it.

"JAY!" A familiar voice cried, gripping his shoulders. 

Jason looked up to see Nightwing, bruised and bloodied but very well alive, his eyes frantically searching the helmet, with no hole in his neck.

Wait, what?

"Dick?!" Jason asked, befuddled. "Wha? But- but I heard the shot! You-he- he killed you!" Jason stumbled back, and Dick painfully heaved another breath through his broken ribs, a chuckle escaping his lips. 

He leaned on Red Hood heavily, and Jason felt another tsunami hit him, this one of relief. Jason hugged Dick for a while, before pulling away.

"How'd you get out of that one?" Jay asked, astonished. 

"Last second rescue. Look." Dick pointed to where he was slumped before, and Jay's eyes followed, before he gasped.

There was a woman in a hunter green techy jumpsuit, beating the crap out of Baldie, a predatory air around her. Her face was covered with a mask and a hood, and she used her metal left arm to her advantage in the fight, deflecting bullets and throwing harder punches. The wall where Dick was slumped before had a perfectly circular bullet hole, and Jay deduced that she must've knocked Baldie over, causing him to miss.