57

The door slid open slowly, and Namjoon peeked his head in.

And there was Hyun Ae, lying still, unconscious on the bed with an ECG machine beside her.

"Hey," he softly whispered, as he made his way to her side and sat down on the provided chair.

The sound of her faint breath through her oxygen mask was like a calling for him to wake her up. At least, that was what he felt.

He sighed and grabbed her right hand, his thumb brushing against her hand softly.

"I'm here. I'm sorry that I didn't come here early. I hope you wake up soon. I... really miss you," he whispered, lifting her hand a bit and kissing it. "I'm sorry for everything. I know that I hurt you a lot. I... I'm such a fool."

He couldn't help but let a few tears drop on her hand as the flashes of getting her out of the frozen place went back into his mind.

Imagine if I wasn't even there in the very first place. Imagine... We won't know what happened to you...

"I... I want you to wake up. That's all I wished for right now. There are many things that I really wanted to tell you. Everything. So, I'll wait. I'll wait here for you," he sniffed, wiping his tears away with his shirt sleeve.

He reached out his hand to her hair, caressing it softly as he gazed at her face.

You look so calm. And beautiful. Like always.

He leaned closer to her, and placed a kiss on her forehead, letting it linger for a few moments until his heartfelt content.

After adjusting her blanket, Namjoon sat back on the chair. He grabbed her hand and gave it another kiss before placing his head on the empty spot beside her on the bed.

He laced his fingers in between hers, before slowly drifting to sleep.

Because of his work, he had never gotten enough nights of sleep for a few days.

And now Hyun Ae got hospitalized and still in an unconscious state made him more worried, and barely hard to get hours of sleep.

But now, here he is. Next to her, he finally found his sanctuary.

The calmness had cleared his mind, body, and soul. And replaced it with the thoughts of her smiles, her laughter, her voice...

Everything about her...

Her...

Suddenly Namjoon felt something warm on his head. He slowly woke up from his sleep.

He couldn't open his eyes properly yet, and his head felt drowsy. And when he realized that her hand wasn't in his anymore, he felt something patting the back of his head.

"Hyun Ae?" he called out as he turned to her, and her eyes were opened now.

Surprised mixed with excitement, he shot up and the chair he was in fell back onto the floor.

"You're awake!" he shrieked, grabbing her hand as he touched her hair. But then she pointed her finger to the nurse call button above her. Namjoon pushed it immediately, looked back at her, and grabbed her hand tightly, not wanting to let her go.

Hyun Ae smiled.

Even though she was wearing the oxygen mask, to Namjoon her smile became the most beautiful thing he had witnessed that day. At that moment.

The Most Beautiful Moment in His Life.

*

After the doctor and the nurse left the room, Namjoon sat beside her on the bed as he helped her to recline her bed after she had done washing herself up.