i

The boxes were weighing down her arms as she struggled to close the car door. Her breath came out in white puffs against the semi-dark surroundings. It was quite early in the morning, but all new teaching staff were required to arrive earlier, preferably a couple of hours, than the students would.

The building the teachers were staying in was similar to student dormitories, however, due to its grandeur and significant size compared to normal student areas, high ranking pupils such as the student council resided on its first floor. They'd been given an initiation day (yesterday) to go over these procedures by the kind faced Kain, the secretary of the student council, with a slightly bored Marius in the background.

Barney kindly smiled at her limping figure, before sighing gently. "Do you want my help with that?"

She let out a sharp exhale as she nearly tripped on a small pebble at his abrupt question.
"Ah! You scared me, bro."

The top box wobbled and Y/N couldn't catch it in time as it fell to the ground, scrounging her possessions on the cold pavement.

"Ah... that's inconvenient. We were five feet away from the door..." Barney sighed.

"Would you like any help?" The voice that had appeared out of virtually nowhere, made Y/N and Barney jump. Y/N turned to see Marius, leaning against the wall of the dormitory, grinning at them. She found herself flushing— how unprofessional! She didn't know why at all, but the way he was looking at her made the women feel—

"A-Ah! Marius. What are you doing here? Yesterday Kain mentioned students arrived later— unless we've got the time wrong?"

That statement from the female teacher made him chuckle, in which he apologised and held a graceful hand to his face. "Not at all, Miss L/N. Kain refrained to mention the student council arrives at the same time as you." He gestured his hand at their surprised expressions. "It's a fairly new suggestion, one a member of the council put in."

"I-oh. Then I suppose it's alright for you to help?"

Marius smiled, quite innocently, at that. "Yeah. Lemme help."

His sudden change in attitude made her start. I mean, of course, he talked differently to her. She was his superior, a person he ought to treat with respect.

She suddenly felt odd, guilty. "You don't need to be so formal."

"Actually, he does." Y/N whirled to Barney, surprised. She'd never heard the man so triggered.

Unbeknownst to the teacher, Marius was glaring with malicious intent. A rival? So soon? He tched, waving it off when Y/N asked him if he was alright. He leant over, picking up the supplies on the ground.

"I think Mr. Grace is correct. I better get to my dorm." Marius handed the stuff to the H/C haired who nodded.

"Y-yeah. Well, I'll see you again soon, Marius."

As soon as he left, Sylvia's voice emitting from her little red car. "Did I miss anything?"

Teachers were put in rooms of two, and Y/N was grateful to be put with her oblivious friend. Sylvia was quite easy to deal with. The woman only ate ramen and lettuce so she was pretty slim.

"Isn't it odd?" Her roommate suddenly quipped.

"What do you mean, Sylvie?" Y/N was unsure of her reasoning for anything "strange".